WT Sept 15th KoolAid - the edition that just keeps giving

by undercover 25 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

There have already been several threads started about this particular issue. Quite a bit of stuff to reflect on, especially the articles elevating the elders and GB...

But here's another gem..not as significant, but still interesting. I grew up as a JW and it was verboten to say "bless you" or "gesundheit" after someone sneezes. Now over time it seems that some of these little nitpicky things that my generation grew up with - "bless you", wind chimes, glass clinking, etc. had once again become fairly common among the newer and younger dubs.

However, along comes the GB to 'remind' the brothers the innappropriateness of post sneezing comments, albeit imbedded in the very first paragraph criticizing other religions and politicans for their style of blessings.

Watchtower Sept 15, 2010

Earnestly Seek Jehovah's Blessing

"God bless you!" In some lands, it is not uncommon to hear complete strangers say this when a person sneezes. The clergy of various religions can be found blessing people, animnals and inanimate objects. Travelers may be lured to some religious sites by the prospect of receiving a blessing. Politicians regularly invoke God's blessing on their nation. Do you think that such requests for blessings are appropriate? Are the effective? Who really does recieve God's blessing, and why?

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

When you were still a dub, did you say thank you after sneezing and someone stated God bless you? When I was younger and sneezed, and they said God bless you, I just acted like I didnt hear it. Now I'm older and someone says it, I say thanks. I still feel kind of strange saying thanks.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Now that I am a fader, I make it a point to say God Bless You when somebody sneezes. I did it before I joined the religion and I am doing it now.

It may not mean anything but is just a social gesture as far as I am concerned.

• undercover
    undercover
    When you were still a dub, did you say thank you after sneezing and someone stated God bless you?

I said thanks, just to be polite...

Even now, though I've been out awhile, when someone around me sneezes I don't say 'bless you' or anything else. Mostly because I've never done it and don't think of it but partly because it's a silly superstition to begin with, so it doesn't mean much to me.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

These kool-aid articles are redonkulous.

• JWoods
    JWoods

Worth saying again - this Sept 15th issue has got to be the very height of WT dementia.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

In Watchtower World..

It`s much better to worry about the phrase "God Bless you"..

Than worrying about the WBT$ bullshitting you,about the definition of "Generation"..

.......................... ...OUTLAW

• yknot
    yknot

Undercover you read my mind !!!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I am reading all these threads about hardline stuff in that magazine. Maybe this all has to do with the GB bracing to put some newbies in the leader chairs. They might want to remind folks about their firmness before taking chances on any softer, gentler, kinder leaders getting a vote.

Or maybe it's just the plan for continuing the elevation of the GB after establishing their importance to "this generation." I think they are acting more and more like typical cult leaders, demanding attention and obedience, every month now more than ever.

Maybe it's both.

Ted Jur-ass sure would have approved of this type of writing.

• Tea drinker
    Tea drinker

I always used to say "bless you" when someone sneezed and was never counselled for it. I wonder what all my Witness relatives will do now when I say that. It's absurd.

If the Watchtower carried an article next year, saying that such things were just local customs and a matter of personal conscience, millions of Witnesses will just immediately change their minds back and comment on "how much sense the article makes." Perfect mind control.

But oh, so infuriating!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit