If I become a JW will I have to go door to door?

by Darth plaugeis 13 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Juan Viejo2
    Juan Viejo2

At my advanced age, if I were to go back in I'd go for broke, knowing what I know now:

I'd turn in 20-35 hours a month, whether I actually did those number of hours or not.

I'd actually go door to door once in a while and try to have adult conversations with people interested in being JWs, but I'd let them talk themselves out of it after I told them what it was really like being a JW.

At the Kingdom Hall, I'd be very humble in a very haughty and superior manner.

I'd volunteer for any leadership or service position to get myself nominated as a elder as soon as possible.

With what I know now, I'm sure that I could fake being a "more dedicated JW" - certainly deserving of an overseer position.

I can give a decent speech when I have to - even on an impromptu basis. I'm sure that I could handle any assigned public talks.

After a couple of years, I'd partake of the emblems, so everyone would think that I was "anointed." This would most certainly put me in position for a position of some authority within a couple of years.

At times I would be exceptionally loving and understanding - and friendly to the elders and their wives. But I'd tend to be stern with the younger and newer members of the congregation.

If you know how to play the game - you can fool almost anyone. After all, that's what 90% of the elders and overseers are doing now. Who knows, at my age and being one of the "anointed" - I might even get appointed to the GB sometime before I die.

• Elder-Patrol
    Elder-Patrol

Yes and no.

JWs allow any type of formal or informal ministry to be equally reportable. However, door-to-door has a special place in the Witness mindset and it will soon seem odd to others if a publisher seems to continually find excuses to avoid it altogether.

Though it's arguable, the scriptures certainly tend to support the idea of door-to-door evangelizing. After all, how can you shake the dust off your feet at an unwelcoming house if you never approach any houses?

(Matthew 10:14) Wherever anyone does not take you in or listen to your words, on going out of that house or that city shake the dust off your feet.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

"Many people have asked that question prior to becoming one of Jehovahs Witnesses. But the meetings give us training on how to talk at the doors and how to use the bible. When you learn the truth, you will be motivated to share this good news with all that you meet."

I think I just threw up a little inside my mouth... excuse me while I go wash it out...

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Though it's arguable, the scriptures certainly tend to support the idea of door-to-door evangelizing. After all, how can you shake the dust off your feet at an unwelcoming house if you never approach any houses?

(Matthew 10:14) Wherever anyone does not take you in or listen to your words, on going out of that house or that city shake the dust off your feet.

I think it's a bit much to read door-to-door evangelism into that text. The fact that they might have gone to some homes hardly implies that they would pick a street and systematically call at every house. I'm not saying it couldn't have been that way, just that you can't make a strong case for it from the Bible.

Even if you could establish with certainty that the early Christians preached from door to door, that wouldn't mean that it is the best or only system to use today. Christians back then rode mules and wore sandals; things are different now. There are much more effective ways to spread a message than trudging from house to house, especially in a society where unsolicited calls at the homes of strangers have fallen out of favor.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit