Christians think about this.... if you dare

by AK - Jeff 30 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AK - Jeff
  • AK - Jeff
  • AK - Jeff
  • AK - Jeff
  • AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

It is this sort of rational thought, though not these particular application of rational thought, that finally brought me around to honest skepticism, and in fact, happiness in my life.

That's not a contradiction, but a relationship.

Jeff

• glenster
    glenster

"If you dare"--hehe.

It's a faith thing. Depends how you do it.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I really enjoyed Sam Harris' book, 'The End of Faith'.

"Most controversially, he maintains that “moderation” in religion poses considerable dangers of its own: as the accommodation we have made to religious faith in our society now blinds us to the role that faith plays in perpetuating human conflict. While warning against the encroachment of organized religion into world politics, Harris draws on insights from neuroscience, philosophy, and Eastern mysticism in an attempt to provide a truly modern foundation for our ethics and our search for spiritual experience."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_End_of_Faith

• glenster
    glenster

Faith doesn't create the harmful confllict or blind you to it--being too 'centric whether you want to have faith or not does. The too 'centric ones are the ones to watch out for--they've done the most harm. You can know faith is faith and not a clash with rationalism, either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_end_of_faith#Response

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

I think that many times these questions shoudl be directed to fundamentalists or "closed minded" Christians, rather than christians in general.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Not a Christian, but I will say what I think on this.

As archaeology joins modern culture in dismissing the Bible, the new wave of accepting religion will be to allow the Bible to be all allegory and all-important in teaching us something. The God of the gaps will continue to fill the gaps that science does not address. The Bible will continue to be "moderated."

We don't stone non-virgin brides on the wedding night nor incorrigible sons. They've already turned those types of Bible messages into showing God's feelings on sex-outside-of-marriage and raising children. They have dismissed the literal commands. The same is now becoming true as archaeology proves there was no exodus and no large 12-tribe kingdom under David. Even the books and documentaries about how this is being proved have to try not to piss off the religious right and say how the Bible was such an important, if not accurate, book of history.

Video 2: I love the comments on dogmatism and faith and reason.

Video 3: I thought quite a bit about how millions of people in Asian and Muslim lands are not truly reached with the "good news" from Jehovah's Witnesses or are reached by a couple of strange people at their door with a strange message. How could God expect people to accept the "truth" from them?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit