JWs in UK appealing for charity donations for beds

by edmond dantes 24 Replies latest jw friends

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

So it is a terrible thing that the JWs have NO charity work, but it now is just as terrible that they seem to HAVE a charity work?

• Heartofaboy
    Heartofaboy

Yep, Damed if they do & Damned if they don't.

• designs
    designs

Fury-

Thanks for the background info. This seems similar to the private 'Witness schools' we had in the States in the late 60s and 70s. Businesses quasi run as charities with appeals to the Witness community for support. There was also an 'Insurance company' health care program for that was run into the ground, maybe some here remember it. The latest money grab from a group that thinks about quick exits from this world and not having any long term commitment to the here and now.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Sorry should have made it clearer,... the reason I'm against it is simply the method of funding. i.e charitable status = free homes and other help off the members = an excellent business model. It's a business, so go to the banks for your money thankyou.

That was the line the pro Jah Jireh used, ..."you are against charity and doing good to your brothers". Please dont fall for it on sentimental grounds too.

Plus it was PUSHED extensively and enthusiastically by leading elders and others who got in on it within the congregations including at the meetings, even in answers and mentions in items from the platform. It had gone too far, hence CO putting a lid on it.

I dont give a damn now anyway because I no longer believe, but when I did it mattered..

Cheers

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I don't understand how it can be both a charity and charge its residents. I don't think that would fly in the USA and that's probably why it's not here. Can anyone with more expertise enlighten us?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit