The ad hoc Generation

by TD 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JWoods
    JWoods

The problem for JWs explaining this generation change is that they defined it themselves for many years:

It was a person "old enough in 1914 to know what was going on" - who would see the final end. They said so themselves.

It came to be seen that this was not happening, so now "generation" means just about anything to them (after about 3 1/2 tries now).

• booby
    booby

JWoods. Exactly. Why the new light. Why the change. Because what they insisted was truth wasn't holding up anymore. They felt they had to "fix" it. I personally think they should have left it alone. It was better left alone than what they have created now. They should go back to Jehobar and check if they mistook what he wanted them to do.

• The Finger
    The Finger

TD,

Thank you for explaining that. I think I understand it a little clearer now. I asked an Elder this past Sunday and he didn't seem to know. I don't believe this new explanation from the GB is anymore valid than the last one.

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

I recently attended a Sunday afternoon session of the convention and transcribed the "generation new light" portion of the final talk, "Remain in the Secret Place of the Most High). This speaker did not make it as clear that the overlapping anointed had to be anointed before the first group died off. See below (also see my thread here: http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/195062/1/2010-District-Convention-Some-Thoughts-on-the-Sunday-Afternoon-Session). The transcription follows:

That brings us to the question here, or the topic, that at no time would we want to leave the "secret place." This is not the time to leave the "secret place," for that matter there wouldn't be any time to leave the "secret place." But especially now is no time to leave the "secret place." Why? Well, particularly in view of the recent clarification we had with regard to Matthew 24 and verse 34. Now turn over there, Matthew 24 and verse 34.

We just had a Watchtower lesson last week with some fine material about this verse. Matthew 24:34: "Truly I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away until all things occur." Of course, the accurate or proper understanding of that really underscores the fact that we're living deep in the time of the end and there's a need at this time as never before for us to have an increased sense of urgency. Of course, that generation consists of contemporaries of individuals who lived at the same time.

Now the Watchtower of--the 2008 Watchtower--the 12/15 issue, page 25 made this comment about the word "generation": it says the word generation usually refers to people of various ages whose lives overlap during a particular time period or event. Now we've got an example of that: Exodus 1, and verse 6. "Eventually Joseph died, and also all his brothers, and all that generation."

Just think about what's written there--it refers to Joseph and all his brothers as "that generation." Now 10 of Josephs brothers witnessed events before Joseph's birth and at least 2 of those brothers lived after his death. So they were of a variety of ages but they were contemporaries and viewed as one "generation."

Now, correspondingly, the word "generation" there at Matthew 24:34 is comprised--or comprises--two groups of anointed Christians. The first group was on hand in the year 1914 when the sign of Christ's presence first became observable. The second group of anointed Christians are those who were anointed later and for a time were contemporaries of the older group. Now in view of that, Jesus' words there in Matthew 24:34 indicate that some of the second group will witness the beginning of the Great Tribulation, so the length of the generation, while not specified as far as the number of years, but it's a limited period of time.

Now we might illustrate it this way, F.W. Franz was born in the year 1893, he was baptized in the year 1913, so Brother Franz was alive to discern the sign in 1914. Now Brother Franz, excuse me, Brother Franz lived until the year 1992, and many present-day anointed ones were his contemporaries and part of the generation that Jesus said would not pass away until all these things occur.

Now in view of that, Brother Franz, and for that matter, other faithful anointed ones lived in very challenging time period. A very challenging time period where strong faith was needed in order for them to remain in the secret place of the most high.

• wobble
    wobble

Of course all this pre-supposes that Jesus actually uttered this prophecy, not as is thought to be the case by many scholars, that "Matthew" was written after 70 C.E and the words put in to the mouth of Jesus.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit