What happens if you are unbaptised publisher for many years?

by XPeterX 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Titus
    Titus
    Tito, that may be true. But at least you will actually "live until you die!"

LOL

• blondie
    blondie

Children of jws become unbaptized publishers at a young age, sometimes as young as 6 (in our area the ability to read was a requirement). I could imagine that ten years could pass before pressure is brought (maybe sooner). There is nothing in the bible about unbaptized publishers (not the term or the concept). I know of a young woman who has been one for the last 20 years; she didn't want to disappoint her mother and this was the compromise.

But the WTS teaches that if you get to the point of baptism and hold back not want to be punished (df'd)-- for WT defined sins, that they will still be subject to Gehenna at Armageddon.

*** w06 4/1 p. 28 par. 12 Meeting the Requirements for Christian Baptism ***Certain ones may hold back from baptism because they are reluctant to accept the responsibility it brings. They realize that to meet Jehovah’s standards, they will have to make significant changes in their lives. Or they may fear that they will find it difficult to live up to God’s requirements after baptism. Some may even reason, “Maybe one day I will do something bad and be disfellowshipped from the congregation.”

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

I gotta jump into this thread and say that being an U.P. is great!!!

See, I am 30 years old. I was raised in this religion. I studied with one of the "annointed" when I was 14 for baptism, using The Greatest Man book. It was all about pressure, and honestly even at that age I didn't WANT to be baptized; something just didn't feel right. First off, I knew I wasn't into it full force - I would have been lying to Jehovah, and I didn't want to do that. I also reasoned that I was too young and had alot of sinning to do yet in my teen years!! I figured, Jesus was 30, why not everyone else? And so it was.

Being an U.P. is great though. You are in a funky "grey" area.....like being in The Dead Zone. You can do what you want, say what you want, talk to whom you want (both baptized and DF'D, DA'D, etc) and there isn't a damned thing the Elder's can say or do about it. Oh sure, they can warn the flock about you, but that only makes them more curious, and since you aren't officially a witness or DF'd, they can talk to you all day long under the guise of trying to "recruit" you. Haha!!!!

I'm not baptized, but was considered a "brother" in good standing for years, treated as such, never was looked down upon, etc. Did I get "priviledges"? Well no, but who wants to clean toilets, mow the KH yard, or carry microphones like some jackass? Not me. I did help clean the KH a few times and helped my father with the HVAC system, but that's it.

In short, it's the best of both worlds. They don't know what the hell to do with me, and I bet the Elders can't stand it. I can go toe-to-toe with them and talk down to them, and what are they gonna do about it? Absolutely NOTHING. I hold all of the cards, NOT THEM. I can question them, doctrines, etc and they can't even charge with me apostasy!!

I'm so grateful I listened to my instincts all of those years ago and never subjected myself to a JW dunking and handing over of my balls and free thought to the JW Organization.

- Wing Commander

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

I'll confess that as an elder I chased off some potential judicial committees before they became them in my congregation.

A couple of young-brothers who were19-20 and raised "in-the-truth" and not baptised whose father was an elder were showing up early morning to go out with some of the younger hottie-pioneer sisters and I knew they were up to no good, so I got one of them and showed him the questions you have to go over to qualify to be unbaptised publishers...the last of the 10 questions asks "Do they want to be one of Jehovah's Witnesses?".

I said, to him after a meeting "Clearly you know what you need to know to be baptised, and since you're so enthusiastic about service perhaps I can help facilitate your progress by ironing out the last few details which prevent you from getting baptised. Let's get together this week, m'ok?"

Both of them took off to cause problems somewhere else.

Later I had some other elder in another cong ask me whether it was true that I said "All young people need to be disfellowshipped."

I said, "No, but it would be a good start."

I gotta bead on you Wingnut!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Usually you are viewed as indecisive. If it's children, they will hound the parents to make sure they get baptized or the hounding will not stop. In the case of adults, they will continue hounding and telling them that, unless they get baptized, they could be doing everything they are "supposed" to be doing and still die at Armageddon for being indecisive. The scripture that indecisive ones shall not suppose they will get anything is cited in these cases.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I know someone who was an unbaptised publisher for 25 years, got baptised, and was disfellowshipped two years later.

Around the time he was baptised I always remember a comment by the PO's wife. She said: "it's all very well being glad that Frank finally got baptised, but if Armageddon had come ten years ago he would be dead you know."

• cskyjw.sun
    cskyjw.sun

you can remain as an unbaptised publisher if you are genuinely "not ready"

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

It varies by congregation, I know people that went on and off the unbaptized publishers list several times. They were treated simply as persons needing encouragement and that would one day get their act together.

• yknot
    yknot

You don't get to 'vote' on resolutions during the Service Meeting......

Actually you are good for business too..... showing the congregation has a 'prospect' for baptism.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    "The congregation will then view the wrongdoer as a person of the world."

The status that so many people baptized as kids wish they could have. Amazing that a decision made when one is a kid can be the difference between being "a person of the world" and being a "rebel against Jehovah".

I was raised in this religion. I studied with one of the "annointed" when I was 14 for baptism, using The Greatest Man book. It was all about pressure, and honestly even at that age I didn't WANT to be baptized; something just didn't feel right. First off, I knew I wasn't into it full force - I would have been lying to Jehovah, and I didn't want to do that. I also reasoned that I was too young and had alot of sinning to do yet in my teen years!! I figured, Jesus was 30, why not everyone else?

You made a good decision as a kid. I too couldn't take that step, and I am so glad I never gave in to the pressure. I was lucky that my dad was an UBM and that helped keep the pressure more modest than others my age may face.

I know someone who was an unbaptised publisher for 25 years, got baptised, and was disfellowshipped two years later.

Around the time he was baptised I always remember a comment by the PO's wife. She said: "it's all very well being glad that Frank finally got baptised, but if Armageddon had come ten years ago he would be dead you know."

And if Armageddon comes ten minutes after he dies, it wouldn't have mattered whether he ever was baptized or not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit