Frugal Ideas for a Beautiful but Inexpensive Wedding!

by StAnn 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Girlie
    Girlie

I am not married (sniff) but my bro and sil married at a justice of peace and had a nice reception at hall at a local university. Friends brought food and the tables were decorated with modest things like candles, some lace fabrics and personal wrapped party favors. She had a good DJ and all went well. I believe it was under $1000 for the whole affair.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

What is the wedding venue, your local church? If so, perhaps you can use the church hall for the reception at little cost. It isn't the Chateau Ritz, but the money you save goes a long way towards nice decorations and the reception. Just saving the cost of renting tables and chairs can be a big help.

• StAnn
    StAnn

No, definitely not a local church. My son is DF'd and hates all organized religion. (As a matter of fact, have you seen the numerous threads on the Touchdown Jesus burning down? We have to drive by that monstrosity all the time. My son said when he saw it had been hit by lightning on the news last night, he couldn't stop laughing. Yes, he's a typical ex-JW.)

I have located a club that is $600 and you get the building from 12 Noon to 12 Midnight. That gives you time to set up/tear down and they have a kitchen you can use to provide your own food. So far, that is the cheapest and best I've found. They will serve beer, wine, and pop but do so at their cost. When they told me their beer cost, my son said that is the same he pays for it wholesale where he works. You have to hire their bartender at $10/hour, which is a little bit of nothing. This place has tables and chairs, no need to rent them, and seats up to 350 people. They also have a small dance floor. My son is going to put all of the wedding music on his iPod and also owns his own PA system, so that will take care of the music and dancing.

This club was built initially to serve the Polish Catholic community in Dayton. I get special pricing for being Catholic and for having been referred to this place by people from St. Adalbert's, one of the Polish parishes. And, no, I'm not Polish.

Apparently, inviting everyone you know to attend your wedding is a Korean Wedding Tradition. Their attendance is supposed to signify how important they view marriage.

This is a place friends of mine have used frequently and they tell me it's beautiful. My son is going to make an appointment and we're going to go see it in the next couple of weeks, hopefully.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Girlie, btw, I mentioned to my son that we could have people bring a covered dish. He almost fainted and said my country roots were showing.

StAnn

• noni1974
    noni1974

That is not your country roots showing, it's your JW roots showing. LOL

If you have a local community collage near by with a food service course ask them how much they would charge to cater the reception. That way they get experience and you save money.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

If you want the guests to have a good time, keep things moving. Don't leave a lot of time between the wedding and the reception while the bride and groom are having their pictures taken. The guests want to eat and they want to dance. Just my two cents.

• Girlie
    Girlie

LOL @ St. Ann. I understand, but when money is tight, sometimes, ya do what ya gotta do.

However, it wasn't my wedding. lol. I had nothing to do with it. Perhaps you may inquire of the club about their catering service, if they have one, and how much it will cost.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Allegedly, someone has volunteered to do the catering for cost. However, I don't know how seriously I take that. You know, you tell someone you're engaged and they say, "Oh, I'll do the food!" Of course, the person who volunteered owns a restaurant. After we get the venue and the date nailed down, then I'm going to meet in person with the restaurant owner and see just how much he thinks this is going to cost and what he's going to provide. My son is under the impression that the restaurant owner will provide food, tablecloths, plates, glasses, and silverware. I'm not going to be convinced until I talk to him myself and sign a contract with the cost of food in writing.

Jimmy Page, yes, I intend to provide some snacky food platters for people to nosh on while pics are being taken. You know, frest fruit, cheese and crackers, veggies and dip, that kind of thing. They'll have to wait a little bit before dancing, though!

The only culinary school around here is in Cincinnati and that's too far away to have a student catered event. However, I might be able to get them to do the flowers, as I believe there is a vocational program for flower arranging.

StAnn

• StAnn
    StAnn

Girlie, don't be sad that you're not married! Marriage is not for the faint of heart, believe me. I love my husband but my priest calls him a "saintmaker", i.e., if I can stay married to him without murdering him, I'll definitely become a saint!

StAnn

• avishai
    avishai

depending on state laws, you can have anybody you want to officiate get ordained here

www.ulc.net

If i were in your area, i'd officiate for free.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit