Ridiculous Comment By a Super JW

by mentallyfree31 23 Replies latest jw friends

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

A few years back, before I had any doubts and when I was a hardcore JW, I remember a super-pioneer-JW sister was conversing with me. I made the comment about some of my friends at work (all non-witnesses). She stops me mid sentence and says "Friends? You mean just associates, right? Surely you don't consider those worldly people at work your friends".

Even as a JW, I personally never had an attitude quite this strict. I rarely ever hung out or went to eat with non-witness workmates, but I certainly called them my friends.

What about you? Did you have JW friends like this?

-mentallyfree31-

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I considered them friends, yes, but would never say so to any Dubs at the Kingdom Hall. Always used the word "acquaintance" or "guy/girl at work" or something like that when referring to workmates.

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

Oh yes. I remember that being said. You were never to refer to non JWs as your friends. They were supposed to just be "acquaintances." Honestly, that is something that I still have a problem with, being able to refer to non jws that I am friends with as friends.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I always say friend and don't care who knows it. Of course you have friends at work. Otherwise it would be impossible to get through the day.

• blondie
    blondie

Note this quote; even other jws are not necessarily friends. I remember this from back in my school days, 40 years ago; how some made themselves appear more holy by correcting your vocabulary.

*** w91 1/15 p. 27 The Pure Language Unites a Great Crowd of Worshipers ***The importance of watching our associations was highlighted in Tuesday’s talk “Are Your Friends Jehovah’s Friends?” Our friends should be Christians who have put on the Christlike personality and are zealous in the preaching work. Worldly acquaintances are not friends of God, and we cannot socialize with them without harm to ourselves. Even within the congregation, we must be selective if our associations are to be truly upbuilding.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

Now if your had said the dead carcasses that I have to work with, that would have put a smile on her face

• designs
    designs

I had an 'associate' er friend over to my bachelor apartment many years ago. She left a cigarette behind, which was seen later by an Elder, I ended up in the committee room sweating bulletts trying to explain that it wasn't mine.

• Heaven
    Heaven

My Dad's closest friend right now is a Catholic. Should my Dad be df'ed?

• undercover
    undercover

Watchtower February 15, 1994 page 24

We must also be on guard against extended association with worldly people. Perhaps it is a neighbor, a school friend, a workmate, or a business associate. We may reason, ‘He respects the Witnesses, he leads a clean life, and we do talk about the truth occasionally.’ Yet, the experience of others proves that in time we may even find ourselves preferring such worldly company to that of a spiritual brother or sister. What are some of the dangers of such a friendship?

• Desilusionnee
    Desilusionnee

I always had a good non JW-friend at school and a good one in the KH. It was not a pb for me or my parents: we would eventually go for shopping, swimming etc...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit