How could we all get along better together???

by Celtic 46 Replies latest jw friends

• Celtic
    Celtic

Without being slagged off for opinions expressed, without being ridiculed often, without constant smart ass one liners and put downs, how could we given the opportunity get along better together?

Not utopia, not this, not that, just a simple question in need of simple upbuilding replies that enable this place more to reflect the care for others it supposedly sets out to achieve.

Any comments?

Here we go (rolling his eyes) ...

Peace

Mark

• Sky
    Sky

Give Kisses instead of Right Hooks!
    When it comes to something as personal as our beliefs, emotions can run high, causing people to bicker back and forth.
    Remember, just be nice! You dont have to reply negatively to every person who posts that you dont agree with.
    Everyone has the right to their feelings, emotions, thoughts, and anything else they might encounter while either still in, or while leaving the Org.
    Kisses!
    Sky
    Ps Make Love, Not War

• WindRider
    WindRider

Good question, Celtic! One thing that comes to my mind is to appreciate that you dont have to agree with another's philosophies in order to respect them as a person and to treat them with respect and tolerance.

Sincerely,
    Windrider

• lydia
    lydia

Mark,

We could all try to think outside of ourselves ( this is an un-borg thing.. ) and put ourselves in the others place.

When someone posts - don't take it that they are doing so because they are stupid... but because they are trying to figure things out.

I think that the "Stupid posts" about fabric (guilty here!! and such allows us to have a human part - we get to find out things about one another - unlike in the borg where we were not encouraged to have outside intrests - we do here.. its Healthy!!

Lets think about the other guy instead of ourselves - and remember -the ones on here are not the BOrg - lets put our anger where it is deserved!!

Lydia

• Celtic
    Celtic

ai

• JT
    JT

how could we given the opportunity get along better together?
    _______-

that is a noble goal, but there is one little sticking point and in my view it is the entire foundation on which wt sits and that is

"We speak for God himself and if you don't listen you will DIE!"

DRESS IT up anyway you like that is the core dogma of jw the ORG/Society speaks for god and failure to follow thru is failure to follow the will of god himself

this has been the foundation stone for many faiths, catholics, etc

of course over a period of time they ( many faiths) have realized how wacky that sounds when you are out doing wacky stuff- killing folks cause they think the POPE wears a "Funky" hat, etc

this one teaching is what controls jw all over the world- if the wt ever acknowledged that that are merely bible students offering thier OWN opinion on bible text then why would a jw do half the stuff that wt has said

like no college, retirement, alternative service, blood fractions, transplant- 1914 gen not dying off and a whol host of wacky stuff that was presented and taught to millions as being solidly based and supported on the bible to the point of were you to question any of it you would be branded as questioning god himself-

yet now we all know now they were wrong the day they rolled off the presses

how sad

• larc
    larc

I think "not keeping account of the injury" would be nice.

• nytelecom1
    nytelecom1

simple..apply the Bible scriptures that
    JW's try (not perfectly) to apply

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

It is my current viewpoint that the spectrum of beliefs we all have has given way to many “spirited” debates/arguments. The problem is the way we argue our points. Most are just bad arguers (cussing, name calling, put downs). I suggest that all read “How To Win an Argument.”

This professor gives all the information needed to conduct good debates and arguments, and how to spot smoke screens in a debate. This effort would make for a more civil board.

The book will help all to learn how to spot a bad arguer and not take his/hers comments personal.

"""Editorial Reviews
    Book Description
    Proven techniques for getting your point across and winning arguments
    If you've ever felt the frustration of losing an argument—even when you knew you were right—to someone more skilled in pressing their point (and your hot buttons), this book is for you. This practical, often amusing guide gives you the tools you need to make your point clearly in any disagreement, from a formal debate to a roaring shouting match. You'll find:

Strategies for identifying—and avoiding—the common traps your opponents may set for you
    Sample arguments spotlighting current issues with notes that analyze both weak and strong techniques
    Interactive quizzes that help reinforce your new skills and build confidence—"Insightful, instructive, and enjoyable to read."—Publishers Weekly
    MICHAEL A. GILBERT, Ph.D., is Professor of Philosophy at York University in Ontario. He frequently lectures and gives seminars on the art of arguing, and is the author of several novels. --This text refers to the Paperback edition.""""

“We all fell down from the milky way, hanging around here for the judgement day, heaven only knows who’s in command.”- Jimmy Buffet

• WindRider
    WindRider

Lydia, I liked what you said about directing the anger where it belongs...at the organization, not at the posters who "dare" to post here. After all, many of us here used to hold the same opinions and philosophies on things. Many of us here used to abide by the society's stand on shunning, homosexuality, etc. and with our dying breath would defend our position. Were we horrible, stupid people then or just people, who in my opinion, were horribly mislead? Good motives, bad philosophy.

Sincerely, Windrider

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit