Karate Kid

by RR 16 Replies latest social entertainment

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

It was Kung fu, not karate.

*shakes head* somethings are just wrong.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Did it have the "sweep the leg" line?

• RR
    RR

Yeah, they should have called it "King Fu Kid" LOL

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

He was told to "break the leg"

His mom in the movie made the statement "Karate, Kung fu. It's all the same". That's what most of the public thinks about the martial arts. They think the karate encompasses all martial arts. Which couldn't be further from the truth.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Thank you, Egg and Hecklerboy for your knowledgeable reviews

I love seeing reviews where the people really know what they are talking about, when it comes to a technical movie or book.

Sounds like I gots me a movie to see

• White Dove
    White Dove

Seriously, too many people are complaining about the name. It is called Kung Fu Kid in China, but $$$ has them calling it Karate Kid here. I think Jackie Chan pays proper homage to his art when he says that Kung Fu is in everything.

Plus, all empty hand martial arts are Karate. Kara=empty te=hand. Judo is Karate because they have no weapons, same with Kung Fu. Just different techniques, that's all. Gichin Funakoshi wanted it to all be called Karate, he protested against stylization. There are only so many ways a hand can strike.

Anyway, I definitely think we'll be seeing another "Karate Kid" boom. Every time a movie like this comes out, kids beg their parents for lessons. Not that that's a bad thing. ;)

-Egg

• donuthole
    donuthole

Just wanted to add that "You're the Best Around" is a really great song and has a place of honour in my workout mix. Perhaps second only in greatness to "You've Got the Touch", from the Transformers animated movie.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit