Karate Kid

by RR 16 Replies latest social entertainment

• RR
    RR

Anyone seen the new Karate Kid movie. Ralph Macchio has nothing on Jaden Smith

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

I always thought that the original Karate Kid (Ralph) got what he deserved. He was a Punk!

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I preferred the original, only because of Pat Morita. Jackie Chan was okay but Morita was just awesome. Also, this version was somehow even more unrealistic than the original. The kid practices kung fu for weeks and he's suddenly a master? All you need to do is look at that crazy flip he did at the end. At least it was obvious in the original that Macchio mainly got lucky. He also had prior experience, if only through his local YMCA. Despite that, the fighting scenes were top notch. Lots of nice slow mos and awesome action. Biggest gripe I have is the name. Yeah, I know they used it as a marketing ploy to get more money from people who wanted the nostalgia, but c'mon, he doesn't use karate. They are two completely different martial arts. I would have liked them to put the Joe Esposito score "You're the Best Around" during the tournament. Still, it was an enjoyable film and I'd recommend it. I'll add it to my large DVD collection to go with all four of the other Karate Kid movies.

There was something painfully obvious about the obnoxiously loud and vulgar people who were in the theater with me: 1) They had never seen the original. 2) They have never seen a movie before. 3) They've never seen the 9th grade. It made it an unpleasant experience to watch

• RR
    RR

There were several karate schools there, people walking in their uniforms, dummies

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Haha, that's priceless. Well how were they supposed to know? Unless they actually saw the trailer.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Egg is watching it now. I pick her up at 9:30. She is very good at different styles. I'll let her give her review on the movie when she gets back.

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

I haven't seen it yet, but I plan to soon.

-MF31-

• White Dove
    White Dove

Aww, com'on, RR. It's fun for the kids.

Jaden Smith sounds like he'd be a good example for the students.

• White Dove
    White Dove
    Egg's review:
    It is extremely frowned upon for students to wear uniforms in public, especially with their belts. It's just showing off, they wanted someone to say, "Oh! You do Karate?" If a tiny kid does it, then it's cute.
    Story was exactly like first movie, but with a different language and culture. It was kind of repetitive to listen to such a similar script.
    BUT...
    The Kung Fu was top notch. For those not in the know, the moves can be done without wires and computer tricks. A lot of the air throws looked like Sambo (Russian wrestling). While I agree that that kind of skill takes a minimum of 2-3 years to accomplish, the boy also had a small amount of experience (uncle taught Capoeira, another taught him Brazilian Jujitsu) and a truckload of talent. It's obvious Jaden worked his butt off to prepare and Jackie's right, he should train professionally. :)
    The "Wax on, wax off" is replaced with "Jacket on, jacket off." Boring, until we see it in action. :)
    There's no crane kick at the end, but he does have a broken leg. I don't think that last move can be done without tons of strength, acrobatic training, and years of practice. But, it was faaar more impressive than that made up kick by Vidal. Also, the snake leading thing is real. The Russians have their own version in Systema, but they call it psychic (I call it a mental trap). :)
    Finally, in the first movie, they exaggerate the damage those strikes can cause and have Macchio and the skeletons acting like a bunch of injured Power Rangers. That doesn't happen here. I see that their strikes could really damage in the areas they're hit in and with that force, and they don't act all injured moaning and groaning on the ground. :D
    I liked this movie the best of all of them. :)
  • Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

As a martial arts instructor (karate) I must say I really liked it. Yes, I grew up in the 80's and loved the original. All the fight scenes were over the top as well as the training scenes. But lets face it, tournaments aren't that exciting. You do get a few good fights from time to time and it takes years of training to do some of the things they do. Poeple that aren't into the martial arts would be pretty bored if they didn't throw in some flash.

I like the way this new one paid homage to the original without completely copying it. I really like the fact that Jackie Chan was "Mr. Han", not "Mr. Miyagi". It was nice to see Jackie Chan in a serious role.

I wish they would have showed other parts of the competition. Most tournaments consist of Katas (open hand forms), weapons katas (weapons form) and kumite (fighting). You got to see Jaden Smith doing open hand and weapons katas in his training but never performed them in the tournament.

I did see allot of fellow martial artist at the movie theater, but none were in uniform. That would have been very disrespectful. Unless they were putting on a demonstration for the movie goers.

I guessing I will be getting an influx of students from the movie.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit