Explaining the NEW Generation!

by UnDisfellowshipped 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mind blown
    mind blown

I found this below:

At the 2010 annual meeting, John Barr presented the latest understanding of the generation. 97 year old Barr was an apt choice to deliver this talk, being the last of the Governing Body born before 1914. He explained the generation is now to include 2 groups whose lives "overlap" since 1914:

"John Barr ... twice read the comment: "Jesus evidently meant that the lives of the anointed ones who were on hand when the sign began to be evident in 1914 would overlap with the lives of the other anointed ones who would see the start of the great tribulation." We do not know the exact length of "this generation," but it includes these two groups whose lives overlap. Even though the anointed vary in age, those in the two groups constituting the generation are contemporaries during the part of the last days. How comforting it is to know that the younger anointed contemporaries of those older anointed ones who discerned the sign when it became evident beginning in 1914 will not die off before the great tribulation starts!" Watchtower 2010 June 15 p.5
    From what I see, Barr states "How comforting it is to know that the "YOUNGER" ANOINTED CONTEMPORARIES of those "older anointed ones who discerned the sign" when it became evident...." He also states....We do not know the exact length of "this" generation....as well as...."the anointed vary in age"
    I'm guessing it's of a younger group of anointed who came in later.........he also states: "the generation are contemporaries" during the part of the last days, maybe meaning.....they are contemporaries NOT in age.....but within.... "this generation" which they don't know the exact length....
  • Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    The important thing to remember (from my experience) is whenever you talk to a JW, always, ALWAYS make them feel like they are the teachers, and you are the students. ASK THEM TO EXPLAIN IT TO YOU.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

UnDisfellowshipped knows the answer.

Don't forget it. Try not to antagonise. Ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, ask.

Tell them nothing. Ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, ask, ask.

Cheers

Chris

• mind blown
    mind blown

Yes, it seems Undisfellowshipped had the answer.

New light is horse poo. Seriously stating before thousands of people... "Jesus, EVIDENTLY meant"? Leaves the door open to buy more time and an excuse for one big 1914 fiasco....."We don't know how long (This Generation is) ".......frst they know....then they don't....then they know.....then they don't....they know....THEY DON'T...

Next new light..607......if they dare....

With out question, the subject will have to be explained to me in DETAIL along with SCRIPTURAL back up, AND with a bible which has lots of contradictions.....http://skeptically.org/bible/id6.html

• TD
    TD
    In conclusion. Someone born in 1991 while Fred Franz was alive and who grows up and is later "Anointed" is part of the Second Group. This Second Group will NOT pass away until the Great Tribulation begins.

Wouldn't someone in the second group need to be "anointed" before people like Fred Franz died, since the generation defining event is the anointing itself? (i.e. It is the anointing, not the overlap of lives in and of itself that makes them contemporaries.)

"Now Brother Franz lived on until the year 1992, so obviously he's part of that first group. So any present day anointed ones who were anointed before, let's say individuals like Brother Franz in that first group died off, would be considered contemporaries of the first group. They would be part of that generation that would see the beginning of the Great Tribulation."

--Transcript of Sunday convention talk

"He evidently meant that the lives of the anointed who were on hand when the sign began to become evident in 1914 would overlap with the lives of other anointed ones who would see the start of the great tribulation. "

--The Watchtower April 15, 2010

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Maybe in 100 years they will tell us that its overlapping with the ones who overlapped the original generation.

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

So let me see if I got this right?

If you knew someone who knew someone who saw someone who knew this guy whose neighbor knew this Uncle that met a guy who once bumped into a guy who knew this Butcher who once caved meat for this guy who lived near the guy who talked to a JW who once met an anointed member who was alive during 1914.

I can buy that.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

from a JW

The overlapping need to be explained. There was various unwritten idea floating around. this lead to age counting of the GB and other unwarranted speculations. I wrote many times before I believed in the overlapping scenario before 1975, But to voice meant apostasy and possible expulsion. After all the 1914 average age was 61-71. the "million now alive will never die" was the battle cry of the day. Sad to say those millions are all in majority quite dead. Of the GB the only from the 14 generation is John Barr and he is 94. As our thermometer it would be the passing of another generation. However we are quick to invent terms, meeting with some of local boys preparing demos and interviews for the DA, we now calling it first part, second part of the same generation, or Generation part deux :-)

Honestly I didn't want to grow old, and I hope my personal thoughts and ideas were wrong, but... alas... many do drift away because the tire of following the carrot. This is why I dislike the behave or die in Armageddon teaching.
  • mind blown
    mind blown

That's a good point as well. It would mean, they claim the anointing started before Christ took power in 1914. So Christ anointed them before his inspection of them? So they say......

However, Jesus was APPOINTED OVER all of Gods belonings.....so it was Christ who is doing the anointing when he supposedly came in 1914 power...

From Wiki:

Watch Tower publications assert that Christ, the "master" in the parable, returned in Kingdom power in 1914 and at that date identified those associated with the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society as the only group still faithfully feeding his followers. [ 21 ] (Earlier publications identify the date of his inspection as 1919, [ 16 ] while a 1959 publication suggested Russell's group passed God's test of fitness in 1879, the year Zion's Watch Tower began to be published. [ 22 ] ) Christ, in fulfillment of the parable, subsequently appointed anointed Christians associated with the Watch Tower Society "over all his belongings". The "belongings" are said to today include Jehovah's Witnesses' Brooklyn headquarters, branch offices, Kingdom Halls and Assembly Halls worldwide as well as the "great crowd" of Jehovah's Witnesses. [ 21 ]

Now what shoots that all to hell for me is.......because for them to claim they passed "God's Fitness Test" while Russell was "Practicing Prymiodology"......?

Russell states:

"So, then, if we measure backward down the "First Ascending Passage" to its junction with the "Entrance Passage," we shall have a fixed date to mark upon the downward passage. This measure is 1542 inches, and indicates the year BC 1542, as the date at that point. Then measuring down the "Entrance Passage" from that point, to find the distance to the entrance of the "Pit," representing the great trouble and destruction with which this age is to close, when evil will be overthrown from power, we find it to be 3457 inches, symbolizing 3457 years from the above date, BC 1542. This calculation shows AD. 1915 as marking the beginning of the period of trouble; for 1542 years BC plus 1915 years AD. equals 3457 years. Thus the Pyramid witnesses that the close of 1914 will be the beginning of the time of trouble such as was not since there was a nation -- no, nor ever shall be afterward. And thus it will be noted that this "Witness" fully corroborates the' Bible testimony on this subject..." (Charles Taze Russell, Thy Kingdom Come, Studies In The Scriptures, vol. 3, 1910 edition).

NOTE: he states.....Thus the "Pyramid" witnesess that the close of 1914 will be the begining of the time of trouble....."

• mind blown
    mind blown

Boy did I go out on left field....

I would think they'd be contemporaries in anointment, as well as contemporaries, part of a critical generation.....

To hell with it, why don't they just say it a "spiritual generation"...when no one's looking or counting.....

If they mean before Fred Franz died......for certain, an age counting will start all over again......

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

If anyone gets a definite answer from a JW source about whether the New Overlapping Generation had to be Anointed while the First Group was alive, or whether they just had to be alive while the First Group was, and then later Anointed, please post the answer here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit