Whatever happened to kindness?

by Terry 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Terry
    Terry

Lately I've notice how few people I'm around practice kindness.

It is, frankly, apalling to me.

I don't see any reason to be rude. There is too much of that already.

When somebody makes a mistake I try to let it drop and not mention it or give them a dig.

Why? Because I don't appreciate it when it happens to me.

HOW HARD IS IT TO BE KIND?

When I'm around disagreeable people I have to wonder what it is they think they accomplish with their negative attitude? It is very contagious.

On the other hand, a kind word spoken in encouragement can really improve another person's day and attitude.

Do you ever stop and analyze what your ready attitude is in regard to kindness?

Are you sarcastic?

Do you like to point out others' faults?

Do you win at all costs?

Or, are you KIND?

• Snotrag
    Snotrag

It is simply because of the devil. Satan is influencing the whole world and you just happen to notice the effect.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I think I'm a kind person. At least I try to be. There are still kind people out there and I have been fortunate enough to have have a few people like that in my life. The kindness you give others do come back to you, sometimes during the times when it is most needed.

LRG

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I do point out others' faults if they are blatant and persistent. For instance, I do not tolerate the likes of those who consistently insist on controlling the lives of others. Mean spiritedness on a consistent basis is one of the faults I like to point out. Of course, that is not as mean as it sounds, because anyone that sees this kind of mean spiritedness will see it for themselves.

But, there are situations I do not like to point out. People do make mistakes. People are free to believe whatever they want: If people tell me that I am going to hell, and I know they are very religious, I simply argue that I don't give a fxxx and let that be it. And, if offenses were what I looked for, everything that everyone ever posted is going to offend someone--hence, if I wanted to avoid offending anyone, I couldn't post anything. This works both ways--and I know that, as one that hates God, religious people do tell me that I am going to hell for it (and once I was called "anointed of Satan" by a strong Christian believer). These things are really belief issues, and everyone has the right to believe what they want. Even if they are wrong.

Also, if someone is under stress, that could make them more likely to do something they regret later. Why add to that regret with bashing people for single mistakes that could well be because they are under pressure, say from their boss, to do more than they really should? Much of it stems from Plato--and, again I can trace that to what Jehovah Himself wants. This goes down from religious and political leaders, who protect bad CEOs from competition, and those bad CEOs take it out on the workers under them. That is often why many of them will be relatively rude.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I'm totally with you on this Terry I think its probably the most valuable quality to have or acquire - the showing of kindness. Its free after all and it works wonders on all sorts of people in all sorts of situations.

Loz x

• tec
    tec

I find that when I am around disagreeable people, a bit of overlooking, and then kindness on my behalf usually tones them down. They sort of take on the mood that I set.

When people are disparaging others, I don't call them on it. I just start saying something that I like about the person they are disparaging. Then their tone changes again - most of the time.

I find that certain people are so used to complaining about others, and having people complain with them, that they just don't know that they could be any other way. I find that they just get taken aback when I don't engage, and stop.

(Unless they're venting. Then I just listen. People need to vent; its healthy as long as they're venting to someone who understands and won't talk around their back about it)

Tammy

• NiceDream
    NiceDream

It's easier to be negative than it is to be kind. It takes effort to be kind, especially when others around you aren't displaying that quality, but it makes you the better person.

When I was miserable working a job I loathed, someone kindly told me "I hope you can create a good day for yourself." He really changed my viewpoint that day, and I will never forget that. He could have been snippy back to me, but he was kind, and that made me want to be kind in return.

• not a captive
    not a captive

Maybe because people don't want to take the time out for it. They may think they are too busy.

Kindness depends on you slowing down enough to recognize what another might need even if you have nothing material to offer (although you might be able to do that). A few words of genuine kindness--nothing "over-the-top"-- but a piece of your time to share with them in their humanity.

Kindness is the thing that anybody can give, whether they are rich or poor. Old or young. Anyone can offer a kindness to someone who needs it--if they will take a moment outside themselves to think of the other person.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Terry, you have a PM.

• Quandry
    Quandry

"I hope you can create a good day for yourself."

I really like that response...I will remember it and use it if I can.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit