Illustration To Explain "This Generation" Change

by sd-7 16 Replies latest jw friends

• sd-7
    sd-7

I just had this idea for how a speaker might illustrate the much-discussed 'overlapping generation' doctrine.

"Imagine a series of lamps, placed in order from left to right. As you turn each of them on, what you ultimately have is a set of overlapping lights, that, when combined, form one composite light, so that even if, by some chance, one of the lights gets turned off, you still have the remaining lights which overlap with each other. In the same way, the current generation of anointed ones have long, faithful records of service to Jehovah alongside the past generation of anointed ones who saw the events of 1914. They have served as an overlapping light of spiritual nourishment for Jehovah's people in this time of the end. And even though some older anointed ones may finish their earthly course, loyal anointed ones still living carry on as part of this anointed generation. These anointed ones, in our time, will not pass away until the great tribulation is upon us. Are we not thankful for the increasing light of knowledge Jehovah has given us through the faithful slave class? How do you feel?"

[Convention applause]

"The increasing light shed upon the Bible through Jehovah's organization has gotten particularly bright in recent years. It was discerned by the faithful slave, and published in The Watchtower in 2007 that evidently we cannot set a specific date for the conclusion of the calling of anointed ones. With the passing of time, it became apparent that "this generation", the one Jesus said would not pass away until all things occurred, was actually these faithful anointed servants of God, who follow the Lamb, Jesus Christ, everywhere he goes. As members of the 'great crowd', do we not rejoice in following the direction of these faithful men--the Governing Body which represents the faithful slave today?"

[Convention applause; I take more notes and wonder when this will be over. Looking at my schedule again, I think, d***it. Not till 4:15, and it's 3:49 now...I'm feeling like I'm a zombie...]

Hmm...maybe convention memories are better saved for another thread. But I had to throw this out there. Any thoughts?

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

String of Jesus lights...

• sd-7
    sd-7

All I know is, it would totally impress the doctrine upon the people's minds, make it seem perfectly plausible. 2110 District Convention:

"Evidently, the generation of anointed ones whose lives overlap with the generation of anointed ones who lives overlapped with the generation of anointed ones whose lives overlapped with the generation of anointed ones who saw 1914 will not pass away until all these things have occurred."

[Applause]

• snowbird
    snowbird

ROFL.

Syl

• nelly136
    nelly136

blinding!

• changeling
    changeling

How's this one: My grandfather served in WWI (1914-1918), I was born in 1959, yet he and I are in the same generation... Go figure! :)

• sd-7
    sd-7

Exactly, changeling. {Nice cat. Saw a great black cat in pet store that I so wanted to adopt...couldn't afford to take care of it though anyway...} If I was still a believer, I figure this one would've triggered at least a raised eyebrow of suspicion, as I always suspected they were just raising the bridge because the water level was getting too close, if you will. But then, I kinda gave up studying too hard on it sometime before it all fell to pieces.

• Heaven
    Heaven

So if I'm understanding this correctly, Armageddon has just been moved off my doorstep to somewhere down the road. Right?

• JediMaster
    JediMaster
    Imagine a series of lamps, placed in order from left to right.

You lost me there, your right or my right???? Me thinking: (gee that's a lot of overlapping, and speaking of lights, I can barely read anything way up here with such bad lighting in this aditorium, i should probably bring my own lamp next time......would that make me one of the anointed according to this illustration......where would that place me in all this overlapping......hellllloooooo sistah......we could make some light togethah.....

[Convention applause]

Applause....I'm awake, I'm awake.

JediMaster

• JediMaster
    JediMaster
    "Evidently, the generation of anointed ones whose lives overlap with the generation of anointed ones who lives overlapped with the generation of anointed ones whose lives overlapped with the generation of anointed ones who saw 1914 will not pass away until all these things have occurred."

Now that makes perfect sense. LOL

Jedi Master.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit