My Daughter Just Graduated From College!

by GoingGoingGone 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

She was about 13 or 14 when I first started having serious doubts about the WTS. When I informed her of my doubts a couple years later, she took the information and ran with it.... she never looked back. I told her she could be whatever she wanted to be if she only worked hard enough. She was worried that her father (an elder at the time) wouldn't let her go to college... I told her that I would worry about him. She was going to college - all she needed to worry about was her grades.

She got into one of the best schools in the country. She's had an amazing time, made friends for life, and gotten to travel around the world. She graduated last weekend. She has gotten a job at an awesome company with fantastic benefits, a sign on bonus, relocation pay, and a salary that blew me away. Her JW father is enormously proud of her.

I am SO thankful to the people on this site, because you have all helped ME escape the WT, and helped me find the strength to lead my kids in the right direction. My daughter has a college education - no one can ever take that away from her. My son has just finished his sophomore year at an equally phenomonal school. If I had still been in the WT, that never could have happened. And without this site, I don't know that I would have had the strength to leave.

So thank you all, and especially thank you Simon, for keeping this place alive for so long. You all helped me leave, but you have helped future generations too!

Big hugs!

GGG

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Very nice! Congratulations to her. I know you're very proud of her.

• man in black
    man in black

Congratulations are in order for your daughter

Your son

and for Mom, who has the conviction to think of your children's future welfare first

• Pandoras cat11
    Pandoras cat11

I am so happy for you and for her!! Isn't funny how relatives get bragging rites when something like this happens? My son is leaving the nest too for a very notable college. Congrats!!!!! (Don't you wish we could do it all over again for us?)

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Congratulations to you both!

• Quandry
    Quandry

Congratulations!! What a wonderful accomplishment. I know her dad must be proud too. I hope he has expressed as much.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

Thank you everyone!

Pandoras cat11 - Congrats to your son too! I think we deserve the bragging rights as parents, if we're involved in pushing our kids in the right direction. And yes, I DO wish we could do it again for ourselves...

Quandry - Both her dad and I am very proud of her. Her dad has bent the JW rules so much more than I ever thought he would and supports her completely. It's amazing!

GGG

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

What a great story. Congratulations!

-MF31-

• not a captive
    not a captive

I am proud of both of you, all of you! Congratulations!

• crownboy
    crownboy

Congrats to your daughter GoingGoingGone.

I guess I was fortunate in that my JW parents never objected to me going to college. My dad being a college grad probably helped, plus I graduated HS during that brief window when JW's didn't completely frown on college.

Good luck on her new job. Hopefully her earnings won't be gobbled up by student loans .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit