What causes the authority complex the WTS has? Or even common JWs? What drives the need to control others?

by miseryloveselders 18 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They want to run the whole world. Short of that, they want to ruin as many lives as they can--making false promises to drag them in, welshing on those promises, and then threatening them if they should ever want to so much as take time out.

Hell, even monasteries are better. First, they always reject new applications the first time. A person has to persist in order to be accepted, and then is on probation for a whole year. During that time, they live as monks but will be given opportunities to realize they are not suited for it. Only after they have been in it for a year and still want to stay in are they finalized as monks for life. The witlesses, on the other hand, only start enforcing the rules after the person has finalized their decision--many of the rules aren't even revealed until after they are stuck in.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I ponder this a great deal...I think they genuinely believe they are 'right' in what they're doing ...the GB I mean...they have become sincere in their own arrogance...which is altogether pretty sick...the only advantage to them that I can see is the power and glory and the self satisfaction of believing they're so righteous...?

Loz x

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Jim Jones, David Koresh, What's-His-Name Applewhite and every other cult leader thought they were doing the right thing, but that doesn't make it right. Their belief in "doing the right thing" is motivated by greed, pure and simple. Whether it is greed for money or adoration, it is still wrong.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

I wanted to say, I appreciate all your thoughts, and its reassuring to know I'm not the only one wondering what's behind the authority complex. It just doesn't make sense to me how a group of men can be so insecure. It's mind boggling. It would be fascinating if not for so many people having to make the tough choice of sacrificing their dignity and sanity, or their family and close friends.

I wanted to type something for lurkers, particulary those not associated with JWs who are curious about JW beliefs, and the JW mindset. This is taken from pages 94-95 of "Pay Attention to Yourselves and to All the Flock" book, which for those in the know, is the Elder's handbook. This page focuses Apostacy. Notice how the WTS does not allow anyone to disagree with their doctrines and consciously walk away from the organization without signifcant fallout. It really is emotional extortion.

Apostacy

Apostacy is a standing away from, a falling away, defection, rebellion, abandonment; it involves teaching false doctrines, supporting or promoting false religion and its holidays or interfaith activities. (Deat 13:13, 15; Josh 22:22, ftn,; Acts 21:21, ftn,; 2 Cor 6:14, 15, 17, 18; 2John 7, 9, 10; Rev 18:4)

Those with sincere doubts should be helped, dealt with mercifully. (Jude 22, 23; w82 9/1 pp.20-21; w80 8/1 pp.21-2)

Apostacy includes action taken against true worship of Jehovah or his established order among his dedicated people. (Jer. 17:13; 23:15; 28:15, 16; 2 Thess.2:9, 10)

Persons who delibeartely spread(stubbornly hold to and speak about) teachings contrary to Bible truth as taught by Jehovah's Witnesses are apostates.

If it is learned that a person has taken up association with another religious organization, the matter should be investigated, and if verified, a committee should be formed. If it is clearly established that the person has joined another religion and intends to remain with it, the elders would make a brief announcement to the congregation that such one has disassocatiated himself. (w86 10/15 p.31)

Working seculary for a false religious organization could put one in a position similar to that of one preaching false doctrine. (2 Cor.6:14-16)

Celebrating a false religious holiday would be similar to performing any other act of false worship. (Jer 7:16-19)

The Bible condemns the following: Causing divisions and promoting sects. This would be deliverate action disrupting the unity of the congregation or undermining the confidence of the brothers in Jehovah's arrangement. It may involve or lead to apostacy. (Rom. 16:17, 18; Titus 3:10, 11)

The practice of spiritism. (Deat. 18:9-13; 1 Cor. 10:21, 22; Gal. 5:20)

Idolatry. (1 Cor. 6:9, 10; 10:14) Idolatry includes the posession and use of images and pictures that are employed in false religion.

I wanted share this with you to show how people are effectively trapped within this religion. I'm not into religious symbols. I'm not looking to divide the brotherhood. I wouldn't know where to begin in celebrating a holiday. I'm not even 100% percent sure I would even join a church upon leaving JWs. I do know I would still live the life of a Christian even if I'm not a blood card carrying JW. However because I disagree with some of the debatable grayer doctrines the WTS holds onto without any tolerance for disagreement, myself and others are forced to make a touch choice. I can either keep my mouth shut and act as if I'm an exemplary JW. Or the alternative is to stand up for my dignity, and in the process lose my family and some close friends whom I dearly love. I just for the life of me cannot understand why the leaders in this organization put such a tremendous dilemma in front of their sheep. It just doesn't make sense.

• sir82
    sir82

There is a certain subset of the population, for whom power is everything. It's better than sex, it's better than money, it's better than drugs, it is the end-all and be-all number one thing that givest them satisfaction.

Some of those people wind up as politicians, others wnd up as CEOs, and others gravitate toward religion.

The Governing Body of JWs is full of them.

Imagine that you are like them, that the feeling of power, of control of absolute authority is the only thing that comes even close to making you happy.

Now imagine you are on the GB. In your everyday existence, strolling the halls of Bethel, you are met with deference, people immediately stop what they are doing when you approach because, clearly, whatever you say or request takes precedence.

You get to travel to far off lands to give assembly talks or dedication talks, or just "visit the troops" in a branch. You travel first class, you stay in first class accomodations, you eat like a gourmet, all without having to dirty your hands touching that filthy cash - you get the best of everything without ever worrying about money, just like Bill Gates or Steve Jobs or Prince Charles.

While there, you give a talk in front of, what? 10,000? 50,000? Maybe 100,000? Before you say one word, you get a thunderous ovation. They hang on your every word like it's coming from the mouth of Moses himself. When you are done, more clapping & cheering. Afterward, people line up for hours just to have the honor & privilege of taking a photo of you, touching your hand, stammering out a few star-struck words, and maybe slipping an envelope bulging with money into your hand.

All the while, for all or nearly all of your entire life, you've come to believe that out of 7 billion people on earth, God talks to just a dozen or so people at any one time. And right now, you are one of them! You have a direct pipeline to God. He sends his holy spirit to talk directly to you, like (almost) no one else on earth. That sudden flash of insight, that new thought you just had? That wasn't just a synapse in your brain making a new connection - no that was HOLY FREAKIN' SPIRIT shooting down the express lane from HEAVEN ITSELF right to YOU.

And that authority complex gets filtered down the pipeline. Branch overseers have a lot of it, but a little less than a GBer. DOs have just a smidgen less, COs just a tad less than that, and so on.

A lot of elders have this need for authority as well. They aren't competent enough to rise up thru the organization, but they want to tap into that authority vibe anyway. In "real life", they are only a small business owner, or a cubicle worker, or a used car salesman, but on Sundays & Thursdays, boy, watch out, 'cause they have the power and authority now! They may suck at family life, they may be emotionally stunted, they may not earn enough to buy a 10 year old car, but by God, they've been successful at the Kingdom Hall!

And heaven help the mere "publisher" who would stand up to them, who would threaten to take that little sliver of power and happiness away from them.

THAT's why there is an "authority complex" in the organization.

• fokyc
    fokyc

Sir82,

100% correct;

I can't add anything to that very true synopsis of the Kingdom Hall situation,

except to add about the lies these ones are capable of uttering!

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Sir82 I felt like I was in the promised land while reading your post. Wow. I feel like reaching out.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Sir82,

Your post is hilarious and so perfect a description of how things work in the 'holy' organization. It is especially true about what you said about the elder who probably doesn't make enough to buy an old car. But yet in the hall he is 'king' (sometimes a little dictator). I always felt the religion is a place where men who are nobodies in the world can feel important.

It is just like I said. They cannot stand any puny little publisher to stand up to them and tell them they are wrong. They want to squash that person before they can tell others. Control = damage control.

• SAHARA
    SAHARA

I think the GB and R&F have these elitists traits because some people "need" to believe that their existence and purpose in life has greater meaning than other people. Whatever causes this need, I just don't know because it could vary from person to person but believing that they are serving a greater pupose is addicting to them and they just can't help themselves. Also, they believe they are more deserving of Gods approval because they believe they work harder to attain it than anyone else. Compassion, sympathy and mercy are not compatible traits with an elitist attitude because they think that people get what they deserve and since they think they work harder in attaining Gods approval, they deserve his blessings and others don't.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit