What causes the authority complex the WTS has? Or even common JWs? What drives the need to control others?

by miseryloveselders 18 Replies latest jw friends

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/194364/1/Witnesses-cant-take-the-heat

In the thread above, several posters made the point that if XJWs could walk away from the religion without losing their family and close friends, then they wouldn't even bother worrying about the WTS afterwards. They would simply move on in life. I agree with that position, because if it weren't for family whom I love dearly, I'd move on without a second thought regarding this religion. I'd be too busy with other things to worry about the WTS. I wasn't sure if what I'm asking in this thread title would hijack the thread listed above, so to be safe I figured I'd just do another thread.

There was a time in my life, when I had a problem with people disagreeing with me. Being honest, I still have to combat the urge to argue over anything and everything at times. But the older I get, and the more experience I get under my belt, I realize trying to force everybody to agree with me, or believe what I believe becomes less important. Not to mention, I like hearing other people's perspectives even if I don't agree with em. What I don't get is, why the powers that be in the WT, don't feel the same. Why can't they just live and let live? If they're right, they'll recieve everlasting life, and the rest of us will be destroyed, forever. They'll have an eternity to gloat. In the meantime, considering that many of the core doctrines that the WT holds sacred are debatable, why treat those questionable doctrines with such a black and white litmus test? Why emotionally extort people, using their families to hold them hostage to doctrines that are grey at best? I just don't get it. Why are they so bent on controlling people in this fashion? What causes a man, or in this case a group of men, to do everything they can to force an emotional yoke on people who don't agree with them? It just doesn't make sense to me. It's somewhat despotic and tyrannical the way this organization operates. What do they get off of it?

• snowbird
    snowbird

The WT displays a Satanic mindbent - rule it or ruin it.

Even lives.

Syl

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

I think it's a "how dare anyone else have a happy fulfilling life outside of the WBTS!! You will all DIE! Convert now and save yourselves! We are God's earthly representatives! You who don't see this WILL die!"

Or something along those fanatical lines. As ridiculous and humorous as that may sound (if not idiotic) I'm kind of serious, because what sane logical person would exact such fanatical rules and regulations? Other than, fanatics.

I agree with your question, and I truly wish we could get a straight answer from the GB... maybe as "new light"? lol

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Fear causes the complex. The sense of control gives the illusion of security.

There are two personalities in the world: those that have to control everything in order to feel secure, and those that are already secure in themselves regardless of what's going on in the outside world. Sometimes this difference is defined as "scarcity" and "abundance".

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I would hazard a guess that they learned this lesson from the many times in the past that they reinvented themselves and people rebelled against what they saw going on.

There were probably dramatic incidents in kingdom halls with people speaking out, maybe even shouting or walking out in anger. This might prompt others to do the same. The scene would be similar to those you might see in some political rally somewhere. So, they 'perfected' things over the decades. In order to minimize the damage from the fallout from their embarrassing changes, they try to exercise control over people in a general sense.

This is in hopes of stamping out what they see as dissidents. It is all about damage control and the bottom line.

• flipper
    flipper

What causes the authority complex the WTS has ?

The need and desire to control others lives with illusions which will increase the bank accounts $$$$ of the leaders of the WT society. And greed and evil are behind those motivations.

What causes the authority complex common JW's have ?

You answered it with your 3rd question - the driven need to control others. Rank and file witnesses do this I believe because THEY are controlled so much by the WT society - the whole culture of controlling fellow witnesses permeates the entire organization. They are taught to rat fink each other out to elders and snoop in on companion's lives to judge them worthy or unworthy. Then they are told they are doing a service for Jehovah by acting that way being told they are good and righteous. Is it any small wonder then that it promotes lots of little Hitler's running around judging each other ? It creates paranoia , distrust, and a climate of fear within the congregations. I absolutely hated it the years I was in it.

Thank goodness we're OUT of that environment ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• IsaacJ22
    IsaacJ22

I have to agree with VoidEater when it comes to individual JWs.

As for the organization's leaders, I wouldn't hazard a guess anymore. There was a time when I felt that the WTS knew what it was doing and that it was using people. I'm not as sure that this is the whole picture now. I've "met" a couple of Witnesses online who actually agreed with all my criticisms with regard to the Society's use of social engineering (what many exxers call mind control). They said that this was how the Society protected JWs and that it was a loving and necessary evil.

In other words, they admit that the Society was guilty of using "cult-like" techniques to control people and to keep them from leaving, but this was just to keep them loyal to God. It never really occured to them that the Society could be wrong or even just lying to them. In this same vein, I suspect it is possible that the Society's leaders could be sincere, though royally screwed up. If this is the case, they may--on some level--be victims of their own unyielding world view. A world view they are now empowered to change if they wished.

Without more knowledge of those leaders, I hesitate to form a strong opinion about them.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

miseryloveselders

This is my favorite thread ever started in the 4 years I've been on J.W.N.!

That's been my question all along!

Why can't they let me tell the Elders that I no longer wish to be a member?

Why do I need to lie about why I no longer preach,give talks,don't answer at meetings,and show up at the meeting only 3 times a month?

Why will I be labeled an apostate if I no longer believe?

Why must my family disown me if I no longer believe the ''truth''?

Why must I choose between my family and the WTS?

What harm does the WTS suffer if I decide NEVER talk bad about the organization?

Why is it so easy to get in but so difficult to get out?

Why do you (WTS) believe in the freedom of speach for the Society but not to individual members in the congregations?

Why don't you condense all your operations and make the religion only for diehards?

I think the answer to your question is that the flood gates would open and most members would leave the organization. Who then would be left to contribute money and distribute the literature?

• IsaacJ22
    IsaacJ22

Rules and regulations: great questions!

Sounds like another winning thread to me. :)

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

The WBT$ is based on Absolute Control..

Jehovah`s Witness`s are taught,to help the WBT$ exercise that control..

It gives them power,they would`nt normally have in their lives..

If your a good WBT$ Cult Member..

The WBT$ will give you,your own little Pile of Shit..To be Boss of..

WBT$ Approved of Course

....................... ...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit