How old were you when you got baptized...was it your own decision?

by Desilusionnee 36 Replies latest jw friends

• Desilusionnee
    Desilusionnee

I was 13 years old and I though it was my own decision. My parents never tried to influence me. But I still can remember a speech I must have been between 10 and 12 years old. The speaker said that no unbaptized proclaimer will survive Armageddon or something like that and that each of us regardless of its age had to take a decision, the decision to serve Jah. If you know the truth and don’t make up a decision it’s like being against it. It threatened me and I think it was the point that moved me to get baptized.
    How was it for you?

• Coffee House Girl
    Coffee House Girl

13 years old, was it my own decision??- yes, no one put a gun to my head, but I was spoon fed from infancy that baptism was just something you did, & I wanted to make my mom proud of me. Plus I wanted friends, I couldn't have friends at school and the other kids my age at the hall didn't do anything with me because my dad wasn't a witness...so I thought that baptism would bring me some friends.

Yea, I was naive and stupid.

CHG

• Desilusionnee
    Desilusionnee

Yes no gun...under pressure without even noticing it like most of us.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I was 16. Um, I thought it was my own decision. But then again, I also believed the generation of 1914 would never pass away. I was thoroughly brainwashed.

• Cthulhu
    Cthulhu

15. My decision entirely. Family was opposed. You know the drill.

• LostnFound
    LostnFound

I was 19, and quite honestly I wanted to wait longer. Unfortunately I was dating a baptized member of the congregation and his family put a lot of pressure on me to do it. (His dad was an elder, his mom pioneered). I mentioned to the PO in the spring I would like to maybe work towards it for the summer convention, and he was like "Don't delay! It's a matter of salvation" and I felt obligated. I had about 2 1/2 weeks to do the questions, etc. My parents never pressured or pushed. I wish I hadn't done it at all, because I wasn't feeling genuine about it.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

I was baptzed in the summer of 1974. I was thinking about it seriously because of the closeness of 1975 and because I was raised to believe it was a necessary progression once you reached a certain age and level of understanding. In the spring of 74 I was at another Witness kids house which was a mobile home. Many families in the Cong. (including mine) had sold their homes and bought mobile homes so as to be able to be ready for the tribulation. We were standing under their metal patio cover when a hail storm blew in. It was unbelieveably loud and included lightening and thunder. His mom (a pioneer) came out there with us and started talking about how this is like it will be at Armegeddon...frightful signs from the heavens etc. She told me that I'd better hurry and get baptized because of the nearness of the Tribulation and because I wouldn't be spared if I knew the truth yet didn't get baptized. I got Baptized at the International Convention in Vancouver Canada along with busloads of others. I remember my knees shaking during the questions, I thought I was going to pass out. It wasn't something I took lightly at all.

The country singer Glen Campbell was rumored to be getting baptized that same day. I heard people claiming to have seen him and some said they heard he would autograph your song book if you asked him. Later they made an announcment that people should stop spreading this rumor and it was wrong to idolize famous people etc.

• Desilusionnee
    Desilusionnee

Jimmy: All of us were/are more or less brainwashed.

LostnFound: A matter of savation...yes I know it, I though it was.

Cthulhu: is your family JW?

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

17 Years old. Was completely my decision. No family in the organization.

• Cthulhu
    Cthulhu

exwhyzee, no, I've no family in the org, though I tried to convert them. So glad now that I did not meet with sucess in that endeavor.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit