I need digital camera suggestions. Thank you!

by asilentone 11 Replies latest jw friends

• asilentone
    asilentone

I am thinking about buying a new digital camera with usb cord. Any suggestions? I do not want to spend alot of money on it. Thanks!

• Guest with Questions
    Guest with Questions

I have two digitals. I was going to sell my Sony Cybershot DSC-H5 which I bought a few years ago but like it too much. The following link has it priced at 569.99 but I know I didn't pay that much for it. Not sure if you want to take a chance on a used one. Maybe someone else can recommend a cheaper one if it's too steep.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonyh5/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000ENTFDG/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

dpreview is an excellent site for that. They all use a usb cord to connect to a comp. Most likely you want a point and shoot camera and most(if not all) of them today come with video capability as well.

• St George of England
    St George of England

I have had a Canon G9 for a couple of years now and it has been first class. The new G11 is still a bit expensive but if anything like its predecessor should be well worth it.

George

• teel
    teel

Give us a price range and approximately what you will be using it for, to have an idea what we can suggest. For example - do you need big zoom? Fast lens? Wide lens? Manual settings?

For point & shoot, the Canons are very good, also some in Panasonic's line. I also support George's advice for a Canon's G series, they're very good. If you're aiming for something cheaper, look for the Canon A series. I haven't looked for the current lineup, but 2 years ago the A1000 was probably the best choice camera for price/quality.

My camera is a Canon SX10, it's somewhat expensive, but the zoom range is out of the charts - 20x optical coupled with a 10MP image size, I can make photos of the moon like the ones you see in the postcards. The drawback is that huge zoom comes with a slight price of image quality - it's still excellent quality, but the G series is slightly better.

It's recommended to look at sample fotos you can found on the internet - the color tone varies, and two different cameras can give two quite different pictures. For example I found Sony's cameras to have a better color fidelity, but I still like Canon's overall warm and rich colors better. Some good sites are the suggested dpreview, or you might look at http://www.imaging-resource.com/ too.

Oh and don't worry about USB, I don't think they make any camera nowadays that doesn't have USB.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Canon G11

• hotspur
    hotspur

DPReview is a good site .... having been involved in photography for longer than I care to recall I've tried most manufacturers products.

Aside from the Nikon range which I use semi-professionally I heartily recommend the Panasonic Lumix range of cameras.

I bought a "bridge" camera a year ago as I was not "enjoying" carrying lots of equipment on our trips to Europe. Mrs. Hotspur (who is an excellent photographer and a staunch supporter of Fuij) wanted a pocket Panasonic. So we bought 2 recently... they are perfect and very robust.

You might like to have a look at these shots of Prague taken this year. Mrs. Hotspur slipped on some and broke her wrist, fell on her new camera but only the wrist was damaged!

• St George of England
    St George of England
    You might like to have a look at these shots of Prague taken this year

Very nice. In the case of No. 8 was the architect Frank Gehry by any chance? Certainly in his style. He was to have built some flats on the South Coast (Brighton/Hove) but I think the plans were scrapped.

George

• hotspur
    hotspur

Thanks George.... I didn't know, so I googled it..... yes you're right. Frank Gehry indeed!

Dancing Building - Prague Sometimes known as "Fred and Ginger" apparently.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

If you get anything in the Canon Powershot series you won't be dispointed. Best Buy has them in the store, you should go check them out. They start at about $100 and go up to almost $300 dependng on the features.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit