Smurfs

by Aussie Oz 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I noted on another thread the mention of 'smurfs' and a certain JWs dismissiveness of the matter

which got me to thinking as tonights episode of southpark is about the student councel wanting to kill smurfs....

Does anyone remember this one that did the rounds here in my part of OZ:

A child took a stuffed toy smurf to the meeting as a cuddle toy and partway through the meeting the smurf got down from the chair, declared it was tired of listening to this rubbish and walked out of the hall!

oooooooooooo!

I remember how we all were sooo convinced that satan possesed toys like that!

(I just told the wife about this one and other JW urban myths about demon possesed furniture and she cracked up! Who's the pot smoking idiot that dreams that up!)

Oz

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

LOL - 1st i've heard of that one, not surprised tho.

Kevin

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Yeah Oz I heard it from an elder or an MS, it was told to us from the platform during a meeting. This was at least 25 years ago. How did those stories get from one side of the world to the other before the internet? It seems there are no transcripts or written evidence, so 'evidently' it never happened.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

Like 5+ years ago, talked to someone who supposedly went to the same hall it happened at, and it was in CA, but a diff cong then them. Would love to hear it from an eye witness, doubt it happened.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

o and I think they said it was during a book study, not the big meeting

• techdotcom
    techdotcom

Yeah, I remember that story. What cracks me up about the JW's is that they like to think that they are without "superstitious dread" and yet took this story at face value with no doubt that it was true, all the while being terrified at a harmless childrens show. I've slowly been trying to help my wife understand what the word "superstitious" really means and not to be so afraid of peoples imagination.

She cringes about my daughter watching the Twilight movies but let's it slide. At some point hopefully she will notice that the house and daugter are not possessed and put two and two together.

Still its a long road when you grow up around superstitious fear to get it retrained in a more rational way.

• Michelle365
    Michelle365

Transhuman68-- everyone knows the JW gossip line travels further and faster than an fancy "internet". lol.

I've heard that same story and remember being terrified of it as a child.

• kitten whiskers
    kitten whiskers

Heard it. I was in 5th grade and all my smurfs and stickers were taken away. What's worse, I told my neighbor girl to warn her, and I must have seemed like a lunatic!

There was also a similar one where a family went to burn a smurf doll and it jumped out of the fire! Nothing like scaring and scarring kids!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I just told my 12 year old daughter about smurfs and the jws. She gave me a funny look and said, "People are crazy."

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

Christ but JWs are dumber than a bag of hammers. they are literally afraid of EVERYTHING....the world, TV, books, thinking, smurfs, having too much fun, too little fun, sex, boobs, sports, music, other JWs, other non-JWs, making money, not making money.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit