Would you tell your JW coworker you used to be a JW

by serendipity 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

After reading more, I would never tell him that you were raised JW. I would also ask the co-worker that knows to please not reveal that . I think you would be opening up a can of worms.

• not a captive
    not a captive

IMO,

If he didn't go into his spiel when you tested him, then "turn about is fair play" as they say--I would not give my spiel either. If he finds out later and says anything, tell him he didn't talk his religion at work either.

That said, it does give him the opportunity to see that you didn't become a rotten loser just because you don't go to meetings. Because down the line he is bound to find out --but you'll have established a normal work relationship with him by then.

Maeve

• moshe
    moshe

I wouldn't say anything, either. Just keep a journal of anything "worldly" he does and then do him a favor by sending it to Brooklyn Headquarters. He will thank you later after he has been Df'd for awhile.

• JeffT
    JeffT

When I left everybody in the office knew what had happened. About a year later a JW who had been working out in the field (we were a property managment company) came into the office. When she found out I was an "apostate" she told the office manager she couldn't work with me.

Everybody else in the office took it as proof that JW's are insane.

• Elgiard
    Elgiard

For me personally, I wouldn't say anything about it unless I was asked. If he asked me, then I'd have plenty to tell him. But that's just because I'm completely and totally out and I don't care if anyone knows it. In your case, since you have family who are in and it could get messy if this person starts poking around, I wouldn't say a word. If he presses the issue, then I think BabaYaga gave good advice, just say you have family who are in.

You're not being dishonest by not telling him, and you mustn't feel that way. It's no one's business but your own. You have no responsibility to tell this person anything about yourself that you don't want him to know, it's not as if you're married.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I didn't even tell my husband that I had been raised a JW until after we were married 2 years, pregnant with our first child and on the way to my Grandmother's JW funeral. LOL! So I certainly wouldn't tell a co-worker. I have too many negative feelings about the cult. I know for me it would create problems for a JW co-worker to know that I had been raised one. Better for me to stay totally neutral.

• Quentin
    Quentin

"My inclination is to keep quiet, if for no other reason than to avoid getting hounded about returning to the fold" ...

I think you gave "yourself" some very good advice...keep it that way. Besides, not saying he does, how do you know he doesn't already know about you?

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

No way I'm letting anyone know of my temprorary insanity.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I knew a fella where I work (he is no longer there - got another job) that was a JW. I didn't let him know that I used to be a JW. I preferred to watch him, and see what he did. It was interesting to do this. While he did the JW things, no birthday celebrations, meetings and stuff, he didn't seem to 'preach' at work.

In fact, one time I was travelling on business with him, and we were at a roadside park checking the electronic equipment when this JW lady came up and tapped the driver's side window. He rolled down the window, and said something like, "I'm a Jehovah's Witness." and then rolled up the window. I was thinking... 'Huh?!' I thought that usually JWs would chat with other JWs, but he didn't.

Anyway, I would say that you shouldn't tell this JW that you used to be a JW. Remain anonymous.

Regards,

Jim TX

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers
    After reading more, I would never tell him that you were raised JW. I would also ask the co-worker that knows to please not reveal that . I think you would be opening up a can of worms.

My thoughts exactly!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit