Would you tell your JW coworker you used to be a JW

by serendipity 21 Replies latest jw friends

• serendipity
    serendipity

I've realized a new employee is a JW, because he likes to leave JW literature on his desk and because he mentioned "congregation responsibilities". I am debating whether to tell him of my JW past.

The main reason for considering this is because I had mentioned to another coworker "G" that I was raised as a JW, before the JW's arrival. If the JW tries to witness to "G", "G" might reveal that fact. (I have "tested" the JW, complaining about deteriorating world conditions to see if he would witness, but he didn't, so maybe he doesn't witness at work.)

I don't participate in birthday or holiday celebrations, don't discuss religion and there isn't anything in my behavior at work that would be considered a disfellowshipping offense.

My inclination is to keep quiet, if for no other reason than to avoid getting hounded about returning to the fold. There is a part of me that thinks it's dishonest to withhold the info, but I guess that's part of the JW programming.

What would you do in this situation?

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Are we working at the same office..... I have the same situation going on. I told him... I really didn't care.

• blondie
    blondie

Are you trying to maintain some status with jw family and friends locally, or are you already da'd or df'd? As a jw I never announced my religion to people at work, after all they never mention if they were catholic, lutheran, or atheist. Is there any chance they would find out another way that would cause discomfort or trouble for you? I would let them know that I never discuss religion on work time if they start "informally" doing so.

I have worked with jws when I was one and I never let them make it a little club of them and me. Some were very embarrassing at work and more than once I had to say in general jws did not act like they did.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

My initial reaction is never. I suppose after I got to know this person well, it might be something that I would tell them but it would be very unlikely. If I felt that they were struggling with their beliefs I would talk to them but I wouldn't necessarily admit that I had any personal knowledge of JWs.

• asilentone
    asilentone

do not say anything to him about JW at all, maybe you can leave combatting cult mind control book by Steven Hassan on your desk. He might read it.

• Think About It
    Think About It

My last job involved moving to Texas and although at the time I had been away from the JW's for 12 years, I took the position that part of my former life was going to remain private. Unless you absolutely feel the need to reveal it, I'd just keep it to myself. It's not dishonest to withhold that info. If you are no longer a JW, I think it is smart.

Think About It

• serendipity
    serendipity

a bit of background: I've faded, but have JW family so I attend the Memorial to keep up appearances.

• wobble
    wobble

What an opportunity to sow some questions in your co-workers mind ! You have to be clever, and don't show you know too much.

If it does come out that you were once a Dub and you are accused of duplicity, I would claim "Theocratic Warfare" as an excuse.

I would not pass up this opportunity to have some fun !

• Think About It
    Think About It

serendipity ........sounds like he hasn't come right out and mentioned his religion to you first. Since he works close by you, maybe you could mention you have family that are JW's if it comes up. You could just say it wasn't for you, so you got out.

Think About It

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

If anything comes up, I would simply tell them that you have family who are Jehovah's Witnesses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit