Book: Who Wrote The Bible - Have you read it?

by mentallyfree31 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dgp
    dgp

I believe it's not just JW's who are kept in the dark about the Bible. If we all knew how the Bible came to be, how the canon came to be, et cetera, not many of us would consider the Bible an inerrant or divinely inspired book. Many people would no longer believe in Christianity, and the rest would need to say that "something" happened but that something isn't well described in the accounts we have. Maybe that's why we never learn where the Bible comes from unless we dig a little deep.

Can you imagine a "Bible Study" that began by probing who wrote the Bible, why, et cetera?

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

dudeson - Yes, my brother has recommened that to me as an excellent book. It will be one of the next ones that I read. He has it on his bookshelf.

dgp - I agree. And yeah, that would be a pretty interesting bible study.

-MF31-

• dgp
    dgp

Mentally, that is what I am doing, and am I learning a lot.

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

That book earthed my bible!

• Dagney
    Dagney

It answered a lot of questions I had. One being why the it seemed like they were always saying the story twice, comingled, and slightly different. Now I get it.

It pretty much changed everything I might have thought about the holy, preserved book. Pretty much over it now.

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

Dagney - It's funny when you are a witness, you have to force yourself to believe that there are NO contradictions. Everything is perfect and it has to make sense. But when you back up and read it, it's so jumbled up and confusing. Matthew says one thing, Luke says another.

-MF31-

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yes wasn't he the scholar who argued that a woman wrote the J source?

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

I liked it; a good blend of scholarship and conclusions.

P

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

Great book, really enlightening. I especially liked the bits where he illustrated his point by highlighting the different author voices within the same passage using different fonts.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit