Mormons in the neighborhood.

by Princess 15 Replies latest jw friends

• cellomould
    cellomould

I would have fallen off your porch or broken your pots too, Princess.

WHO expects such a beautiful woman to open the door?

(Oh, you only bake brownies for your husband? Guess I lost points there.)

your not-so-secret cello serenading admirer

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

I had two nice, young morman men come to my door about 6 months ago. They rode bike through the neighborhood.

They asked if I were interested in learning in about the Church of Later Day Saints? I said No. I asked them if they were intersted in learning about Jehovah's Witnesses?

They became afraid! I told them I used to go door to door also, before I realised what a waste of time it was. I then asked if they had to log their time every week?

No, they were missionaries.

They left quickly. They hopped on their bikes and rode out of the neighborhood. I wish I had done that with the JW's who came to my door yesterday.

• Princess
    Princess

refiner: You are right, I was always under the impression the LDS church sponsored their mission but was told the parents have to foot the bill. Some of the young men are quite poor as a result. Parents don't have much choice, the men have to go on a mission regardless of the parent's finances. On the other hand, some of them are riding some nice expensive bikes and wearing nice shoes.

Cello:

Puff: I guess they have the same opening line everywhere. It always gets a quick no from me.

Princess

"Dance as if no one were watching, sing as if no one were listening and live every day as if it were your last." -Irish Proverb

• Mulan
    Mulan

I think I posted this experience a few months ago, but I am doing it again anyway. About a year ago, after I had brought Sharon home from a chemotherapy appointment, I was getting back into my car, when two young Mormon missionaries, who lived in her building, approached me and said they could see she was a cancer patient, and did she need any assistance at home. I said it was all covered, but thanked them. They said if they were around when I came home, they would help me get her into the building. (there were times, when she had to use a walker or a cane, and I needed help too) I saw them a few more times, but they were usually leaving the parking lot when we were. They always waved to me. I just thought it was so kind of them to ask.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)
    "No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

• picosito
    picosito

A long time ago before my wife and I got bamboozled into the JW thing we invited two mormon guys to come over one evening and tell us about their religion. One was young, handsome and cheerful (probably a newbie or a Jack Mormon) and the guy conducting was older and crabby and uninspiring. He started by placing felt cutouts on a felt presentation sheet. On top he placed first the Mormon Tabernacle in Salt Lake City, followed by progressively less exalted icons of the church as he went down. Like starting a JW study with the OM book (BTW, try humming OM and you have a new thought). We started asking questions, and they must have been deep because the older guy got more and more nervous as he had lots of trouble answering our questions. The young Mormon was so amused that the older elder was screwing up he started chuckling, and then he, my wife and I became overwhelmed with laughter so uncontrollable that Older Elder said, "That's it, Tom, let's go." The three of us were still laughing as the two walked out the door. That was a very enjoyable study!!

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

Hi, all! I must let you know how you have made my day with all the kind comments made on this thread regarding Mormon missionaries, especially the young Elders. Yes, that does seem like a contradiction in terms "young Elders" but Elder in this case, as in the Bible, is not an age thing, but a title given to denote a particular level of service. In this case, it is a level of ordination also.

As a mother of a missionary son, I know how hard those Elders, and the Sister missionaries, too, work at finding opportunities to help people both with preaching the gospel, and with more practical issues, such as moving, disaster clean-up, or anything else they can do to be of service. It's really great hearing that some people actually feel their lives have been made a little better through contact with our gentle, compassionate missionaries.

Yes, I know most JWs believe they are the only ones who go door to door, and when reminded that we do also, they are usually quick to point out that we only go "for two years" and they go all their lives. I think it is wonderful to serve however you choose, but fair is fair. JWs are very focused on hours of service. If set side by side, and compared just hour to hour, these Elders serve 10,000 hours per mission. How many Saturday mornings does it take to equal 10,000 hours? Hmmmm.

Once a mission is over, however, service is not. Our people serve in various callings from age 12 on until the end of their lives. Most people serve in several different callings at once. We consider it a privilege to be asked to teach the small children's classes, or to lead Boy Scouts, or whatever else we are asked to do. We spend many, many hours in lifelong service in our Ward family, our home, and our neighborhood and community. Only we don't keep track of hours spent, as it is just a way of life, and most of us wouldn't think of NOT giving of ourselves whenever we have the opportunity. There is great joy in being an active part of things that those who only sit and listen to a weekly sermon cannot possibly appreciate.

Sometimes people think we are "required" to serve missions. Not so. Not even all who apply to serve are accepted, for various reasons. It must be the choice of the missionary to serve, and not a compulsary act such as the draft. My son now serving is the fourth one. All four looked forward to being able to go since they were young boys, and prepared well to be ready and to be worthy.

Yes, it does get expensive having missionary family members who we are supporting in full. Some families have more than one missionary at a time out in the field, and still support them in full. But the blessings received more than make up for any hardship encountered. (Something else I know few can appreciate who haven't experienced it!)

I've heard many people make comments about how Mormon missionaries "changed to the other side of the street" because they were "afraid" of the JWs, or "ran and jumped on their bikes" because they were so "scared" of JWs, or "shocked by how well JWs can destroy Mormon teachings". I have to tell you frankly that such comments always make me laugh. Those making them cannot be viewing the situation rationally.

First of all, Mormons grow up with JWs, they play in the neighborhoods with them, they go to school with them, they date them, they discuss doctrinal basics casually all their growing up years. Why would they suddenly be "afraid/scared/running away from/shocked by" JWs they encounter as missionaries? If it makes you feel more superior to think so, feel free, but it is beyond absurd! Wouldn't it be better to treat them kindly, as they do you, and look at them with the same respectful gentleness they show you?

Secondly, young men and women the age of our missionaries are in their most bold stage of life. They aren't about to flee in fear from anybody, and certainly not just because someone says they are JW!

I have a marvelous idea, which will be a whole new concept to many of you, unfortunately...Why not try seeing Mormons as people, real people, who are trying their best to live a good life, and generally succeeding at that, which is why they are usually so cheerful and friendly and open and quick to help everyone everywhere. Is that really so hard?

Thanks again, for the kind comments many of you made on this thread. It made this mother's heart very happy. Bless ya!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit