Mormons in the neighborhood.

by Princess 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Princess
    Princess

Today as I was pulling into my driveway I noticed two young mormon "elders" at my neighbor's house. They stood on the porch and watched me pull into my garage, obviously had just been at my house. I thought for sure they would be marching right over to inquire as to whether I was interested in learning about their church. They just kept on going down the street from one empty house to the next. Almost all my neighbors work. The 80 year old across the street and I are the only ones who are home daily.

Anyway, it just made me laugh and I can't remember if I would have done the same as a dub or would I have gone to talk to the person who just drove in. Depends on who I was with I guess.

It's just as well. Last time they called the poor guy was so nervous he stepped in one of my flower pots and broke it.

Princess

"Dance as if no one were watching, sing as if no one were listening and live every day as if it were your last." -Irish Proverb

• Mulan
    Mulan

The last time Mormons came to our house, I was pioneering, and had taken a day off. They were here for about two hours, and I counted the time. My first question was "What qualifies you to be an elder? How old are you? About 19?" I should be ashamed of myself, right?

Then, since I know quite a bit about marketing, I asked them how they learned their approach, "Can I tell you about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints." I asked it that is a successful intro, usually. I mean, who would say "yes" to that question. They said it wasn't working very well. I actually felt sorry for them. They were nice young men, and I totally confused them. I gave them some suggestions, and they thanked me for them. It felt good at the time.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)
    "No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

• more2C
    more2C

I hadn't realized that Mormons go door-to-door. I thought that the JW's loved to brag that they are the ONLY religion that goes door-to-door. Wrong again!

• kpax
    kpax

The last time they came at my door, they asked if I needed some work done outside the house. Wish JW's asked those kind of questions. Could have my lawn done every week!

Kpax

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

We've started getting young Mormon ladies doing the rounds up in Sydney. Still wear the badges but they don't claim the title of 'elder'.

I remember the time I met up with a coupl of Mormon guys and, looking at the badge, I asked "What's your name?" to which he replied "Elder Smith". I said, "Yes, but what's your FIRST name?" to which he answered: "Elder" ! It's true!

• DB
    DB

About three years ago, two (cute) Mormon girls called at my home. My wife and I discussed some matters with them, informing them that we were jws. The mormon girls were very nice. They stated that they do the door-to-door preaching for two years, then that's all that they are required to do.

Recently, in a car group in service, we saw two mormons on the street. Someone in the group mentioned that they did their preaching for two years. Of course, the witnesses with me mentioned how we are superior because we preach all our lives. Ugggh.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

In the almost eight years I have lived at my present address, I have talked to several pairs of Mormons. The only contact with JWs was when one of them rushed up to the door and stuffed the "special" tract in it before I could walk from one room to the other to answer the bell. JWs just aren't up to snuff in our area of the woods, it would seem.

• Princess
    Princess

I have lived in this house for three years. Mormons have been by twice (including their non-visit today) and witnesses have been by about five or six. The first time I flung the door open expecting a friend and it was two dubs I had known for many many years. They about fell off the porch when I answered the door. Wouldn't come in, just stopped by to say hi (lie, they admitted they didn't know I lived here) blah blah blah. Another time a couple I didn't know offered the mags. Not interested, closed door. The rest of the time I ignored the door and went about working around the house. I'll answer next time but I suspect they have written us down as a do not call or some sort of warning.

The mormons are nice, I don't mind them knocking.

Princess

"Dance as if no one were watching, sing as if no one were listening and live every day as if it were your last." -Irish Proverb

• hungry4life
    hungry4life

The last two times that I moved the Mormons were the ones who helped me. I supplied the vehicle but they had 4 guys come out and load and pack everything. I am a single mom so this was very much appreciated. They explained that as a part of their regular service hours they not only preach from door to door but help people with practical things (members as well as non members). They said they often get called to help people move. I bought them juice drinks and lunch and that was it. they did not attempt to preach to me or leave special material or anything. They said this is a normal thing and is done everywhere just call a few weeks in advance to arrange it.
    They have never come back to hound me and were very kind and professional. Have any of you ever had an experience like this?

After my JW husband left me to pursue a relationship with the woman he had a brief fling with (while I was at a convention). I had to move to a more afordable place. I was an active and regular publisher in good standing and none of the congregation members ( not even the elders who knew about the situation) ever offered to help me move a thing. I had a 5 year old and a 10 Month old at the time and did it all myself with the help of one worldly friend (also a girl).
    It was the middle of July in California and the worst hell I have ever gone through. That was the start of my realization that maybe the Borg wasn't all that it proclaimed to be.

I realize that this is a bit lengthy and starting to need a place in the personal experiences section but I thought that the two were contrasting situations worth mentioning.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

poor little Momos.Next time they come sit em on the porch and give em a cold drink. They never get any kindness.
    Look at the soles of their shoes, probly they'll be worn through. (serious).
    Do you know there is a church edict that those missionaries MUST be in bed by 9.30 pm sharp?
    Hows that for a life?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit