Am I invisible?

by Mulan 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Mulan
    Mulan

Last night my husband and I went to dinner at a new restaurant to us. It was a Thai place. As we walked up, we could see that most of the tables were occupied by Asians, a good sign. One table had a man and a teenage boy in suits, and two women. We waited for a few minutes for a table, and I looked around to see if we knew anyone. Then I realized that the non Asians, at the table who were in suits, were people from our former KH, and we were immediately in their face. They were looking right through us. Not at us, and not acknowledging us, but right through us. I laughed, as I usually do, and they looked away.

I asked my husband if he recognized them, and he said he had, but was shunning them. Too funny.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)
    "No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

Good for you!!! I'm still too chicken shit. I pretend I didn't see them (even tho it has been 10 + years and they probably don't even recognize me)

closer

Failing is not falling, it is staying down and not picking yourself back up!
  • bigboi
    bigboi

Hi Mulan:

I always wondered why ppl would take such a hardline stance against brothers and sisters whom no judicial action had been taken against. I always was of the mindset that you should try to be encouraging to ppl like that, ya know. It's like if you weren't so quick to shun another person and put all that other stuff to the side and just try to show pure unadulterated love and concern for individuals, it might just turn em around. Maybe I was by myself in thinkin like that.

ONE....

bigboi

"it's like the one thing we all have in common is that we
    got played by a cult and a bunch of old men and no matter what it will
    always be a part of us no matter how much we distance ourselves from it"
    ~ Ghostquote

• Prisca
    Prisca

Their shunning of you is their loss, not yours.

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

What I love is the confusion when they can't figure out if they're supposed to shun you or not.

I drifted away in my late teens--never baptized--and have been pretty out and about with non-Witness ("untheocratic") activities ever since. Whenever I go to visit my mother and we run into some JWs, it's always a trip to watch them try and figure out if they should shun me or not. And I don't make it easy, either...I'll greet the ones I know, even if I'm with my father (who is df'd, and participates in their shunning of him by avoiding eye contact with JWs and "not putting them in an awkward position").

Jankyn

• David Gladden
    David Gladden

I hear a voice but I can't see anyone!

• Gopher
    Gopher

Marilyn,

I was out with a married couple at the local Red Lobster restaurant, when who should appear but a bunch of JW's, some from my former congregation!! It included the chairman of the committee that disfellowshipped me!!

We had eye contact. He was stunned, as he hadn't seen me in over a year. I wanted to show him that I was enjoying life outside the organization, so I had a big smile on my face the whole time!

The fellow I was with is also a DF'd JW. The waiters sang "Happy Birthday" to different people 3 times in the first half an hour they were there. I was thinking of telling our waitress that it was that elder's birthday, he was just too shy to say so, and could they please sing him "Happy Birthday"? Imagine the look on his face if I had actually done that! But I'm not a revengeful fellow, so I didn't.

GopherWhy shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• LDH
    LDH

Who said that?!?!?

Do you guys hear something!?!?

Lisa

• Mulan
    Mulan

We have thought of doing that too. There is a Mexican restaurant that makes a big deal with birthdays, and brings you a big sombrero to wear, and the whole staff sings in Spanish. My husband keeps threatening to tell them it's the birthday of dubs when we see them. So far, he hasn't had the nerve.

One time, we went to another Mexican restaurant, small one, and the CO was there with a very self righteous couple, who were trying to be missionaries without going to Gilead. We sat next to them, and stifled their conversation. That was a hoot. We had all been in a drama together a couple of years earlier, so they knew who we were.

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)
    "No one can take advantage of you, without your permission." Ann Landers

• Princess
    Princess

I always give them a big grin just to let them know I'm doing fine without them.

For those who actually speak to me, I tell them I'm absolutely great!

My husband corners them and makes them talk. Cracks me up, they don't know what to do and don't have the nerve to shun when cornered.

F**k 'em. That's what my husband says when I tell him about someone shunning me. Hee hee hee

Princess Rachel

"Dance as if no one were watching, sing as if no one were listening and live every day as if it were your last." -Irish Proverb

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit