I Have the Pwer to Run them Away

by nomoreguilt 13 Replies latest jw friends

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

Now, having been on the other side of the fence, so to speak, and having had HOA's run me out of their subdivision, the shoe is on the other foot. As I said in my come back post yesterday, I have become very active in my local community. I am the President of our Home Owner's Association. No, I'm not a Nazi or anything like that, we are just trying to maintain a high standard of living here, keep our property values up, that sort of thing. So, I was able to have our Borad of Directors take a vote and we have decided that we don't want ANY solicitors in here, unless they are licensed by the local township govt. YEP! That means THEM ! Oh ya, the Supreme court, etc, yada, yada, but when an HOA decides that they don't want ANY BODY, then whe have the right to tell them to leave. I effectively did that last summer, short and sweet, they left. Now, however, I had another couple of them 3 weeks ago. These 2 come to my door, satchels accross their back, which is how I think they carry their literature anymore, shirts, ties, they had that JW look all over them. So, I asked, duh, how can I help you? The up front fella say, " We are involved in a FAMILY Health Care Work......Hmmm Now, in order for ANY door to door solicitor to be able to even legally come to my door, he must have paid the fee, $100.00 at the township. So, I asked these Family Health Care Workers if they had a permit from the township....Get this part......The lead fella states, " Are you familiar with the Supreme Court ruling on GOSPEL WORKERS"???? OMG! Now he's a GOSPEL worker! I blew my shorts off on that one. I said, " Yes, I am familiar with the supreme court ruling on GOSPEL workers", and I told him that as a HOA we don't want them in our neighborhood and to leave before the police get in here. GEEEEEZZZ now they are using that blasted Theocratic Tact form of lying to get at your door!!!Give me a break. Anyways, they did leave, and I gave myself a HIGH FIVE!!!

I have more great stories to relate as time affords it to me, later.

As always, I am,

NMG

• RosePetal
    RosePetal

Hi Nomoreguilt sounds very nazish to me. My father served his country and went to war [before becoming a JW] to fight for freedom. For freedom of worship, freedom for creating and advertising business. If someone comes to your door to promote business or the gospel we can choose to answer the door and say yes or no, we can throw leaflets and flyers away and refuse their business. We can choose.

I have just started a business and I promote it with leaflets and flyers. People have the choice to use my business or not. I would not like to have to start paying town halls and councils to have the privilege.

RosePetal

• StAnn
    StAnn

RosePetal, I don't think I've ever lived in a town where you didn't have to purchase a permit to solicit door to door.

NMG, I hope your HOA hasn't banned clotheslines. I hear that's happening a lot today. First, I think it's very quaint to see clothes hanging on the line. Second, I do it because I'm trying to cut back on polluting by not using the clothes dryer.

I can't believe they're calling themselves Family Health Care Workers. Are they carrying stethoscopes and BP cuffs?

StAnn

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I say that NMG is doing what is right, and according to the laws in their area, and have the right to do so if they want to and can.

RosePetal, when you print or distribute your flyers, do you mis-represent your business, perhaps telling prospective clients that you have a 'life saving' business, when perhaps you don't? (Unless you do - which in that case it would be perfectly okay to do so.)

My point is that the folks that NMG had at her door were using deception to start the conversation with. Mis-representing themselves. Fraudulently so.

I say, good for you NMG. Even if they know enough to quote (or mis-quote) the Supreme Court, you can stand by your HOA rules on not allowing unsolicited solicitors in your area.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I had a very similar conversation in NZ a few years ago.

They were doing an impression of an official health organisation, but were actually selling religious childrens books that were disguised as not being from the Seventh Day Adventists.

I wasn't impressed with their version of honesty, so I gave them the low-down on my definition of the concept.

Cheers

Chris

• blondie
    blondie

On 17 June 2002, the Court ruled in an 8-1 decision that that the requirement of the Village of Stratton's ordinance for solicitors to "register" before engaging in door-to-door advocacy violated the First Amendment. The Court stated "it is offensive, not only to the values protected by the First Amendment, but to the very notion of a free society, that in the context of everyday public discourse a citizen must first inform the government of her desire to speak to her neighbors and then obtain a permit to do so."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchtower_Society_v._Village_of_Stratton

Hasn't this issue been settled?

• metatron
    metatron

When you say HOA, who owns the land? Is there some sort of collective ownership or agreement?

The Society fought these cases over half a century ago - and lost. I don't know of any reversal.

metatron

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I believe that it is legal if one posts a 'No Solicitors' or 'No Soliciting' sign at the entrance to the sub-division, mobile home park, parking lot or on the house/home itself.

They have one posted at the entrance to the mobile home park where I live, and I was told when I moved in that they did not allow solicitors.

Perhaps the HOA could require that all homeowners post such a sign, but I would think that one sign at the entrance to the sub-division would suffice. (You DO have it posted, right NMG? Otherwise how would they know of your 'no solicitors' agreement?)

If I recall correctly, JWs have been directed to NOT go to homes where these signs are posted.

(Or was that 'No tresspassing' signs... {muses to self})

In either case, homeowners associations DO have rights - as do sub-divisions, and other small municipalities. It is just in how they 'word' those restrictions that they need to be careful of - so as to not violate constitutional rights.

Regards,

Jim TX

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

In fact, the associations do have the right to run the witlesses out of the neighborhoods. The witlesses are selling a scam, and part of these associations' purposes is to protect the neighborhoods from this kind of scam.

• blondie
    blondie

That was "no trespassing" signs; check to see what the laws are in your area regarding them.

I would also check with a legal source in your area re the HOA rules and the 2002 U.S. Supreme Court ruling. That ruling has set a precedent and Bethel Legal uses it to deal with other cases in the US, rather than going through another long court process.

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit