What is the meaning in "Praying" for someone about to die ?

by chrisjoel 11 Replies latest jw friends

• chrisjoel
    chrisjoel

Im not sure I understand why we do this. I met R.Franz after i left JWs and meeting him was a nice experience. It was a kind of turning point in my life and I guess his books helped put the final nail in the coffin of my departure from JWs. A very nice meek mild mannered guy. But do we say that we are praying for him in the sense that we HOPE someone is watching from heaven and is ready to embrace his arrival into heaven? Or, are we saying we pray for him in the sense that theres nothing better to say at this difficult time so it just sounds good and apprpriate? Instead of saying we pray for him what would be the right thing to say of someone about to leave this life? Since we dont know what happens at death it would seem that praying is very confusing and the act of praying ITSELF offers a sort of blind comfort to only those about to suffer a loss.

Far from being insensitive to R. Franzs sufferings, and those who knew him well, I would say that I am very glad to have met him. I hope that he has lived a happy life and was satisfied with it. He affected a lot of ppl to think for themselves and he should be proud of his achievements. However since there is nothing we can do to prevent aging and death why pray?

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

Praying that they go peacefully feeling loved and happy not a slow agonizing painful death.... I can't believe this has to be explained.

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

We all come from different perspectives...I personally feel that praying for someone especially when their life is on the line is the very best I can do for them. That's probably because while I feel helpless I have no doubt at all that God has the unlimited power to ease suffering and/or reward people, according to his will. I'm happy to leave it with him cos I trust him.... and when I pray thats what I do...

Loz x

• bennyk
    bennyk

I am praying for someone about to lose her husband...

• chrisjoel
    chrisjoel

Praying that they go peacefully feeling loved and happy not a slow agonizing painful death.... I can't believe this has to be explained.

Dont ppl pray for those about to be executed? about to die an agonizing death? an innocent person on death row doesnt feel loved. ...It just seems to me that since we dont know for sure if praying works, or who is listening , or , IF GOD exists at all, that praying is for US not for the dying. which then calls into question why its done in the first place.

However, if its the "best we can do for them," then with THAT attitude in mind, I guess thats the best answer i can have....

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

For me, it means hoping that their souls find their way to a place of peace and joy.

BTS

• Cagefighter
    Cagefighter

If you don't believe in God why would someone pray for someone else in the first place? You are right we should pray for people that suck as well, it's not up to us to judge another man's worth or heart.

• Lieu
    Lieu

I recall some praying for God to forgive those killing them & praying to be able to endure whatever type of persecution.

I don't recall anyone in the Bible praying for anyone else about to die. I think that may be a spin off of the ancient Egyptians & Greeks.

• Chalam
    Chalam

I don't recall anyone in the Bible praying for anyone else about to die.

Start here...

Ephesians 6:18 (New International Version)

18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints.

Philippians 4:6-7 (New International Version)

6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

1 Timothy 2:1 (New International Version)

1 I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone God bless Ray and his family :) Blessings, Stephen

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

I don't do it but I do tell people that I will keep them in my thoughts. Because if you're in my thoughts I'm more likely to send a card, stop by with dinner or give you a call to check on you, etc.

I've never been a fan of praying for sick or dying people as I've never understood the point of doing it as it bears no weight in God's eyes. To me its something most people say to dismiss them from any further obligation...just my opinion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit