Before there was internet banking

by MsDucky 13 Replies latest jw friends

• MsDucky
    MsDucky

How did you pay your bills?

Did you sit down at your desk and write out a check for each bill?

Did you call the bill company and make a payment?

Did you just get in the car and ride to each company and make your payments?

Do you do more online shopping now? Or do you still prefer to go to the store to get clothing and other items that you can buy online?

If I could do grocery shopping online, I'd be a complete agoraphobic.

• sacolton
    sacolton

First of all, thank Al Gore for creating the internet ...

and, yes, I wrote a check for each bill. A time-consuming process that I don't miss at all.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Internet banking has been quite a appreciative way of paying those nasty bills every month,

not to mention using Debit cards to make purchases at stores.

The old fashion way of course was to mail every payment monthly which was a pain in the you know what.

I hardly ever use cash now when buying things or entertainment.

Less cash to handle, no big wades of bills or coins in your wallets to sit on.

As far as Internet buying, I've purchased somethings but I rather see the items personally that way

you can get an honest perspective of what the item is and not one thats been fabricated for selling.

Another positive that comes to mind is employee payments normally issued by cheaqes can now

be deposited whenever payday rolls around instantly to the employee's bank account,

no more running to the bank on payday to catch the bank before it closes.

• MsDucky
    MsDucky
    and, yes, I wrote a check for each bill. A time-consuming process that I don't miss at all.

Me too, it was time-consuming... having to write out the amounts, label the envelope, lick it/seal it, put a stamp on it, and take it to the mail box. I thought it was fantastic when the post office came out with sticky stamps! Times have changed!

• MsDucky
    MsDucky

no more running to the bank on payday to catch the bank before it closes

I don't miss that either. The long lines, waiting to get up there to deposit your check and to check your balance.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I used to write cheques, and hated it. I still prefer to use cash when making purchases, and I don't order food, clothing, or other tangible items online. I hate paying shipping costs only to find myself having to drive half way across the city to the UPS/Fedex/Purolator depot to pick up the item I paid them to deliver. I can't be at home during business hours because I work during business hours. Really, that should be a no brainer.

W

• donny
    donny

It has been over three years since I have actually written a check! I definitely don't miss those days.

• bobld
    bobld

So what do you do when power goes out or the net goes down and you have no cash.

B

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    So what do you do when power goes out or the net goes down and you have no cash.

I recall back in the 1990s, all the ATM machines in the greater Toronto area were down for a long weekend. Nightmare.

W

• MsDucky
    MsDucky

Wait

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit