Now that's a sink hole! (Guatemala City)

by Think About It 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Tropical storm releases water. Water falls on earth. Water trickles and rushes throuch channels and streams, and percolates into the earth. Earth destabalizes and dirt is carried away with water. Where a cave exists underground, dirt washes away beneath and leaves a depression or hole on the surface. Where towns are built on rock that dissolves by water (e.g. limestone), sinkholes are common.

Thanks for the explanation. I know how sinkholes work. Underground erosion of the limestone takes thousands of years, especially when you're looking at the depths we see here. They aren't created by a single storm.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

This is NOT the one from 2007, it's a new diff one. Also, can someone explain how it 'naturally' is so perfect round like it was drilled? How do you get over 100feet of perfect 128 foot diameter straight down?

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

At last, someone will start the drilling to China!

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

Thanks for the explanation. I know how sinkholes work. Underground erosion of the limestone takes thousands of years, especially when you're looking at the depths we see here. They aren't created by a single storm.

No, but storms hasten erosion.

• Lieu
    Lieu

The alienz did it, like they do everything else that makes you go hmmm.

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

maybe the sinkhole should happen about 1 mile under the Ocean so it will eat up the oilspill

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Think this is what happened to Korah?

• Think About It
    Think About It

CNN checked into it some more and evidently there is an underground river at the bottom. The saturated ground from the 18" of rain and the underground river caused the sink hole.

Think About It

• vivalavida
    vivalavida

Well, if it is a second hole of those dimensions in three years, in the same city... erm, I would start getting worried. Is the city turning into swiss cheese?

vlv

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit