Now that's a sink hole! (Guatemala City)

by Think About It 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Think About It
    Think About It

Sink hole in Guatemala City caused by the tropical storm. I seen a view from the top and you couldn't see the bottom.

Think About It

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

How did they explain that a tropical storm could cause a sinkhole? I'd love to read the geology behind that theory.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

some of the arial photos look photoshopped. It just looks so unreal. Like something out of a SyFy made for TV movie. I'm waiting for some half mutant reptilian insect creature to come out of the hole and threaten mankind.

• Darth plaugeis
    Darth plaugeis

I thought it fake at first, but WOW I saw the shot where you couldn't see the bottom. It ate a 3 story building.

• little witch
    little witch

Is this the most amazing thing you have ever seen or what!!?? Holy Smokes Man

• sacolton
    sacolton

I think they found a new landfill.

• vivalavida
    vivalavida

This is a story that is already, at least, three years old. The hole opened in 2007

Take a look at more pictures here or here.

Still it is impressing.

Vivalavida

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

How did they explain that a tropical storm could cause a sinkhole? I'd love to read the geology behind that theory.

Tropical storm releases water. Water falls on earth. Water trickles and rushes throuch channels and streams, and percolates into the earth. Earth destabalizes and dirt is carried away with water. Where a cave exists underground, dirt washes away beneath and leaves a depression or hole on the surface. Where towns are built on rock that dissolves by water (e.g. limestone), sinkholes are common.

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

I read that a multi-story building fell into this hole.

• Think About It
    Think About It

CNN reported the hole is 200 ft deep.

Think About It

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit