I used to be an apologist as well, however no more

by gubberningbody 11 Replies latest jw friends

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

It's funny how when you think you've gotten queued up in the paradise line how you'll pooh pooh detractors.

Age has a way of sobering you up.

Of course the internet was a great help.

If you want to find out what's wrong with anything, all you have to do is select the topic and throw in a pejorative, and bam!, you've got hundreds if not thousands of people who'll give you the other side.

If you've not in a JW family, and you're not a mental troglodyte, I can't see anyone making that koolaid-bath plunge into JW-land.

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

gubberningbody - I didn't realize you were a former apologist. I've only been on the forum for a month or so.

-mentallyfree31-

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

I wasn't one on the internet, but I do remember reading some anti-jw lit - actually quite a bit.

I remember saying "If it takes someone 30 years to figure out that this isn't the truth, then they're an idiot with nothing to say." (re- 30 years a WT Slave)

I might as well have included myself in that because it took me 25 years.

Then I remember reading a book :

The gist was that when you're particularly clever (or think you are) in arguing your position you imagine this to mean that you are correct.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

Ummmm.....what's and apologist ?

• gubberningbody
    gubberningbody

An apology isn't saying you're sorry, but rather a defense of a position. For example if you take on arguments against your position with an intent to defuse or defeat them, then you're an apologist for your position.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Gubberning said:

The gist was that when you're particularly clever (or think you are) in arguing your position you imagine this to mean that you are correct.

Interesting.

It took me a while to admit that I had been an apologist, too... I was inactive, and had absolutely no intention of going back, but I made endless excuses for them. I swept a lot of things under the rug and was still in denial about how incredibly dangerous they are.

Let's just say I was tolerant of their intolerance. It took me finding this site (completely by accident, Googling something completely unrelated) and running across the news about the UN involvement to open my eyes, sever the ties, and shake the denial right out of me.

• Think About It
    Think About It

Hi exwhyzee ........Welcome to the forum.

Think About It

• not a captive
    not a captive

Glad you you found out you were still 'humble, hungry and honest' enough to jump ship!

• wobble
    wobble

EYZ BIG WELCOME ! A bit late. Look up Apologia in the dictionary, it will explain what many were up to even after they left !

I always reckoned i could justify the WT beliefs to most members of the Public, but I knew, deep down, I was being deceptive and not giving them the whole story.

I never went along with the really stoooopid stuff , like Cedar Point Ohio conventions fulfilling prophecy, so would never speak about them, not even answering on such lunacy at the Meetings.

Since I have left I can find nothing to defend as to doctrine, it is all false.

The only thing about the borg that I will say, that is positive, is that there are many many lovely ,and loving people, still trapped in it.

• freydo
    freydo

Weren't we all apologists at one time? You had to be, unless of course you were never in.

And if you were never in you had your own dum thing you made a fool of yourself defending.

Like being a sports fan.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit