Audio: Generation teaching as explained at the San Diego District Convention 05-30-2010

by kurtbethel 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

This is an excerpt from the final talk of the day, "Remain In the Secret Place of the Most High". I looked around as this explanation was being offered up, and the looks on the faces of people there was mostly disinterest. This is a very convoluted explanation that reminds me of someone running a con and trying to cobble together an explanation to deal with legitimate objections to their false claims.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dodp4w

• laverite
    laverite

Thank you so much for uploading this. Amazing that more do not wake up and smell what's really being fed to them. Wow. Just...wow.

• garlic81
    garlic81

Do you know who the speaker was for this talk?

• agonus
    agonus

Steven Hawking's computer-synth voice has more personality and charisma than whoever it is that's delivering this crap.

• bohm
    bohm

THANKS! .

Very interesting to actually hear it in words.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

The "Secret Place" is occupied by scoundrels and self important men selling snake oil and false hope.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Thanks for the upload. It's interesting hearing history being made as this two-bit religion discards everything we were brought up to believe in. No doubt some of the older dubs will leave over this, but for the rest, what does another misguided interpretation of scripture matter? They are in Jehovah's organization.

• sabastious
    sabastious

He just read the watchtower... Shouldn't they get a little more at the DC?

-Sab

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

That was pretty close outline #48.

I'd like to know who it was. He's not exactly charismatic. I think he was hoping he had lulled everyone to sleep before he had to deal with this BS.

Cheers

Chris

• MrMonroe
    MrMonroe

"Convoluted" is one word for it. Some other words are baffling, nonsensical and dishonest. The definition of "generation" provided in the Feb 15, 2008 WT does at least bear some similarity with what the dictionary says. The dictionary says a generation is "all the people born at a particular time"; that WT says it's people who share "a common experience during the same time period". Well ohhh-kay ...it's a bit of a stretch, but we're with you so far, I guess.

The April 15, 2010 WT then stretches this further by saying the generation "usually refers to people of varying ages whose lives overlap during a particular time period". Sorry, but at that point they're contradicting what the dictionary says. My father's lifespan overlapped mine, but his generation was sure as hell not the same as mine. F.W. Franz, referenced in the convention talk, was born in 1893. That was 117 years ago. I think it's safe to say his generation has ended.

The strange thing is the way the speaker, around 3min 40, declares that the "generation" Jesus spoke of in Matthew 24 "comprises two groups of anointed Christians". He repeats the phrase for emphasis. The two groups are (a) those who were alive in 1914 and (b) a later group of anointed who for a time were contemporaries of the older group, in the same way, I guess, that my father and I were alive at the same time. This, of course, is a complete invention and achieves this by taking a further step away from the already dishonest use of the word. Where in Matthew 24 is there any suggestion of two groups? Jesus speaks of "the generation", not "two groups of anointed". And yet the speaker says some in the "second group" would be alive to see the Great Tribulation and claims the Bible says this.

Here he supports his claim with an illustration of Fred Franz. He suggests that because Franz's generation overlapped the lives of other anointed, they are all in the same generation. Does this make sense to you? Franz died in 1992. If my daughter was born in 1991, and therefore 19 today, would she be the same generation as Fred Franz? This is just wrong. It's a fiction, an invention, just dishonest.

Two final points: Curiously, the 2008 WT says that Jesus' words did not suggest a formula to enable them to determine when the last days would end. But that's precisely what the Watch Tower Society has always tried to determine.

And why does the audience applaud when the speaker announces the release of a new video? Why did they not stand up as one and say, "Hang on! None of that made any sense! Can we sort out that last piece of crap before you start handing out presents?" How many of them would have walked out of the convention that afternoon thinking, "Yep, got it. That made complete sense. I can explain that no worries." They would instead have been practising their beaming smile and ready to spout those immortal words, "That was so uplifting! So encouraging!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit