Bedroom Laws

by XPeterX 40 Replies latest jw experiences

• FreeAtLast1914
    FreeAtLast1914

The things that religion makes people feel bad about could fill a library of books... Are they that bored in New York or is it a control thing?

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

I think it was a we're anointed heirs with Jesus we better give holy answers to everything anybody asks us thing ... instead of following the example of the first century older men who said we and the holy spirit wish to add no further burden to you except for these necessary things.

• teel
    teel

I am sure no one ever follows that.
    My wife does

So does mine She loved it btw, but as time goes she becomes more and more fundamental, so this one had to go. She suddenly decided it's unnatural. On a slightly unrelated note contraceptives were the next on the list to go on her quest to 'be clean'.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

teel: So did mine (loved it). I guess her conscience always bothered her about it but with much effort I was able to convince her it was okay and they knew they shouldn't make rules about this that is why they don't mention it any more .... then came the article October 15, 2007 "Responding to Your Conscience" where the footnote in paragraph 8 refers you to w83 3/15 pp. 30-31 ... since then it is off limits and I get the "don't you care about my conscience?" anytime I make the suggestion.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Who would join this religion if they read the fine print beforehand?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

If I were making it, it would simply be the same as in all other areas of life. No one shall initiate the use of force, threats of force, or fraud against another person or their property. If a particular act does not violate this principle, it is none of my damn business.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Unfortunately nobody at the Kingdumb Hell has ever had the courage to stand up in the middle of a talk on this nonsense.

Stand up and shout "Stay out of my bedroom you voyeurs!"

HB

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Using the fallacy of equivocation, as P Parrot describes so well, it's wrong for heterosexual married couples to kiss because homosexuals do it. And the Bible doesn't even blanketly condemn homosexuality...well, no more than it restricts any other sort of sexual behavior.

Most of the Pauline restrictions are on thoughtless (lack of self control, maybe what we call "sexual addiction" today?) and religiously promoted promiscuity (sexual acts done in the name of non Christian gods), which isn't particularly good for people for all sorts of medical and emotional reasons anyway, because DUH, I think people sort of noticed that that causes disease and emotional distress at some point.

The word Paul and one other bible writer use that some Bibles, including the NWT, translate as "homosexuals" or "men who lie with men" in Greek isn't the word for homosexual. It's a different word that is rarely and euphemistically used in Greek, "adenokoite"...homosexuality, which ancient Greeks didn't have a big issue with culturally, is "androkoite". The word "androkoite" is never used in the Bible. Why do so many Bible translators, who know that there is already a word for homosexual, and that it's not used by any Bible writer, still insist on translating "adenokoite" as "homosexual"?

Well, it's because they used the vague similarity of the word to interject their aversion or prejudice against homosexuality. Homosexuality goes in and out of acceptability in different cultures for various reasons, too complex to explain simply, but Bibles translated during a period where homosexuality is viewed with fear, homophobia, were translated with bias.

We are all at the "mercy" of Biblical translators when we read any Bible..many of them didn't hesitate to interject their cultural and religious biases or just their individual mindset into their translations. To my mind, we're never reading anything original when we read any Bible..we're merely getting what the translator thinks we should get out of the Bible.

Adenokoite, which was used so rarely that scholars aren't quite sure what the cultural context was, seems at best guess to refer to either pederasty, which is older men using young boys for sexual pleasure, (common enough in Greek society, though frowned upon by some, tolerated by others) or temple prostitution, of both sexes, which was often sought out at various times of the year as a ritual of worship...usually at the spring equinox.

Temple prostitutes were not homosexual...they were men and women who simply had sex with worshippers as part of religious ritual, it wasn't because of same sex attraction, which had nothing to do with it. This is also what Paul is discussing in Romans, when he talks about men and women "leaving off the natural use" of their bodies, performing ritual or orgiastic acts of sex in the name of the Roman gods and goddesses. Pan worship was huge in some provinces, and getting drunk or high on various drugs and indulging in orgiastic sex was part of his worship.

The word adenokoite literally means, as close as can be discerned "a male who overpowers another sexually".

Argh!

Most of the time, JW literature seems to be trying to see how many rules of logic they can mangle in as few pages as possible.

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

This is especially ironic since the watchtower usually loves to point out what the original translations of words were & use that as a reason to twist the meaning. They've done it with the latest generation teaching in one of the DC talks i've heard, but you won't catch them doing it in the case of homosexuality, nope, that would conflict with their interests.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I see nothing wrong with two consenting adults having sex with each other, of either sex, and regardless of other factors like age differences, race, national origin, or things like that. And, if one or both want oral and/or anal sex, that is between the two and no one else.

What I have a BIG problem with is when the hounders take a child (a baptized 6 year old, at that) on a hounding call separate from the parents. During this hounding call, one of the hounders goes in private and molests the child, especially if it's done with the goal of damaging that child. Then, the hounder threatens the child with getting disfellowshipped (at age 6, no less) if they tell anyone about the incident. It will be treated as slander.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit