Where has your spiritual journey lead you?

by thraxer68 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• poppers
    poppers

While I've never been a JW I've had a diverse spiritual journey. That journey ended when I came to rest fully in the present moment.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Universalism...that horrible place that JWs are never supposed to go, ecumenicism, "all roads lead to God...unless you don't want them to" suits me just fine.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

I have called spiritual journey "My Spiritual Aeneid," rather than a "Spiritual Odyssey." An Odyssey takes you on a journey, but returns you to the home that you had left. Whereas, an Aeneid involves not merely coming home, but coming home to a place you have never been in before, one that combines all that you valued in the old home with added promises of a future that is new.

I left the JWs in 1984 and for a few years didn't attend any church. However, in 1987 I was taking a New Testament Literature class at the local college. A classmate invited me to attend Episcopal services, which I did. I liked the services so I continued to attend. In 1991 I was baptised and confirmed in the Church. Like most churches, the Episcopal Church has problems, but at least the leadership admits to having problems and tries to do something about it. Moreover, the services are alway positive and one isn't sent on a guilt trip like at the Kingdom Hall.

However, I got married last year and my wife is Russian Orthodox. This has given me a new perspective of Eastern Christianity. So perhaps there are more miles to travel before my Spiritual Aeneid is complete.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Athanasius, Eastern Christianity is beautiful. I've only been to a couple of Orthodox services. The incense in the Eastern rites can be a bit overwhelming for me.

Keep us apprised of your journey. Should be interesting.

StAnn

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

It's lead me to a dead end. So I have become a simple man because I've realized the only thing I really understand is dirt.

LD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit