World of Warcraft Players - Looking for feedback

by sabastious 16 Replies latest jw friends

• sabastious
    sabastious

I have been working on a site and I want it to eventually become my day job. Have been working tirelessly for two weeks on it and am dying for feedback!

http://www.pvptracer.com

-Sab

• teel
    teel

For a second I was thinking thinking this is somehow related to JWs playing WoW That's an interresting topic that wasn't explored so far I think (it's interresting, because WoW has everything the WTS condemns: violence, magic, online, and even a slight bit of sexuality; not to mention it's a game, on which you're wasting your time that could be used selling literature).

Ok, ontopic: I like the clear simplistic layout, there isn't much to distract me from the information. However I think a centering or fill the window would look better (I'm using 1280x1024). Also if I resize the window to smaller than the text, there's no horizontal scrollbar, so for screen sizes lower than 1024x768 I think the text is not entirely readable. A nice background would go well too, but maybe you're working on that already. Don't make the background too flashy though. Just KISS (keep it simple, silly).

As functionality, I played WoW, but never got into PvP, so I'm not sure if my information is relevant. But how about letting people enter their realm/character and pull the profile from the Armory, compare to, let's say the best player similar to his build, and maybe give advice on what to improve? This last part is probably very hard, but a simple compare could be useful too.

• sabastious
    sabastious

I wish I could let people pool the armory with a tool I make, but the armory only lets you do so many calls to it per minute and if you exeed it, you get IP banned for 12 hours.

Thanks for the feedback tho! I will work on the no scroll bar thing for 1024x768

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious

btw that is your 666 post! gratz!

• sabastious
    sabastious

Off topic I once got told by an MS that maybe the reason why my battle with depression was going to slowly was because I played WoW. He wasn't saying it was a fact, but he said I should consider it.

-Sab

• teel
    teel

Lol hope I don't jinx your project with that 666

Do you know the polling limit of the Armory? You could limit internally the number of specific requests, to avoid ban. It could piss off some visitors though, if they arrive late.

On the other topic: I got counseled against games too. I think this actually leads to even more depression - they lay guilt on you for playing.

• sabastious
    sabastious

My site is always pooling in the background to keep the data up to date. I wouldn't want the users competing with the data transfer. Maybe when I get bigger and have a larger budget I can afford to a dedicated server that can handle requests from users to give them their specific info.

-Sab

• Mythbuster
    Mythbuster

Can you hook into Wow-Heroes?

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

WoW rocks, as it got my husband all the way out of JWs, but I play Second Life now more.

It's a social community where you can do all sorts of fun things with online avatars (You make one or more to look or be like anything you want, elves, aliens, humans, mermaids, whatever) like go to live music shows, dance, karaoke and role play fantasy and science fiction, historical epics, but for adults only, at least, parts of it, so you have to age verify to get into some of it.

I'm sure the WTS would highly disapprove as it's totally schmoozing with "worldly" people constantly, but I've made a lot of new online friends and even some real life friends in the music business (I don't live too far from Nashville and Memphis) which was my first love in real life. I think I would have given being a performer/singer a shot if I hadn't been raised in JW BSVille.

If you like Star Trek, you can go to the "academy" and get assigned a starship position in a few "sims" or RP games, for instance. Great fun if you're into that sort of thing.

Last week I put on a mermaid "suit" and pretended I was a mermaid for an afternoon. I had a ball.

• not a captive
    not a captive

I've been laughing at your posts all morning, mindmelda. I'm supposed to be packing. (sigh).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit