Jesus disses corporation-led religion??

by not a captive 76 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Gladiator, I respect what you have said in regards to my belief and I subscribe to that view of the beliefs of others.

Now, in regards to this:

What I find inconsistent is the way the Holy Writ can suddenly become a collection of musings to be believed or not whenever an inconvenient passage is quoted. If you think the Bible is irrelevant to your faith, fine, but why quote from it as an authority when it suits you.
    The issue I have raised is about the inconsistent way the Bible is used by some Christians. The comments that you and other believers have made regarding the Bible, discredits its authenticity more than any remarks I have made, on any thread.
    If your faith is not based on the bible, how do you know who you have a relationship with or what his son's name is?
    It is not my desire to upset you or any believer but I do feel compled to ask how you manage to perform the mental gymnastics that you do with the Bible.

When I said that I take the bible too seriously to take it literally, that wasn't a joke ot a play on words, it was something I once read and resonated with me.

I think the issue seems to be that YOU believe the bible MUST be all of one thing and nothing or another, it must either be all stories or all facts. And that is not the case, the bible is Facts, truths, stories, parables, teachings of morals and ethics and even gives us examples of when Man does horrific acts in the name of God.

It is all that and more, but what it was never and will never be is JUST ONE THING and NOTHING ELSE.

So, yes, believers can use it for many purposes and disregards what they think it was not meant to be ( a science book for example).

And you know what?

Contrary to what the WT teaches, that is perfectly fine.

Don't be a stick in the mud dude and stop looking for ONE ROAD where there are many paths.

• not a captive
    not a captive

Gladiator,

I just posted a response to you that is on topic for this conversation as well on hoj's thread about" the unlearned and the book" or whatever it was , (I can't recall the right title) I do understand your point . It is an important point indeed.

Maeve

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Dear Gladiator,

You are, of course, free to speak your mind, and post where you like. This thread however, seems to have been intended for believers to discuss among each other regarding points of interpretation of Christianity. I think it would be nice to have a discussion from time to time with believers regarding details of Christianity without the thread getting derailed with the issues you raise. There are plenty of believer/nonbeliever threads on this forum where these issues are intended to be discussed, and can further be discussed.

You will never be able to sate your desire for a worthy opponent if you do not let him train in his own camp before meeting you in the Coliseum.

BTS

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

PSacramento

I appreciate your taking the time to explain your understanding of things.

Every so often we have these debates. I try to understand how you see things but I am just a simple gladiator; a relic from the past.

I wish you well in your belief.

not a captive

Thanks for your comments. I have replied to you, to the effect that I will will stop baiting Christians and get back in my box. I have these little flare ups when Caesar is away.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    I appreciate your taking the time to explain your understanding of things.
    Every so often we have these debates. I try to understand how you see things but I am just a simple gladiator; a relic from the past.

I wish you well in your belief.

As someone that has been a warrior for most of his life ( 30+years in Martial arts, Former Army sniper) I can appeciate your sentiment my friend :)

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

BurnTheShips

Sometimes I react to the moment.

If I were to start a thread pointing out the inconsistencies in Christian's use of the Bible, it is likely to be jumped on by all the non believers and ignored by the people I am addressing. Or as has happend before, believers go into denial and say, 'show us an example.' Then I am into quoting from the treads I tried to leave alone.

I am driven by unconscious forces myself, that may have little to do with the matter in hand and often question my motive for commenting at all.

In any case - Point taken.

• tec
    tec

Gladiator - I responded to your comments on the other thread that NAC mentioned, too. As for a thread to point out consistencies, you could do it and ask that non-believers not step in.

*shrugs*

Could work. I'd like to know more of what you're talking about.

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit