Jesus disses corporation-led religion??

by not a captive 76 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

not a captive

Holy spirit has to work to make Jesus Way clear for us. We'll fight forever if only the words in a book lead our way.

I was under the illusion that Holy spirit was the force that inspired the writers of the Bible, to lead the way. Without it none of you would know anything about Jesus. You quote from it enough when it suits you to.

I thought it was the job of unbelievers to trash the Holy Bible?

• not a captive
    not a captive

Dear Tammy, Finding the union is perhaps not a continuing problem as much as a continuing challenge-- the good news is that it keeps us talking and doing what we think the Good News says.

I think that Jesus modeled for us what we are supposed to do when we get tossed out for being faithful: Don't start a new religion: JOIN ANOTHER CHURCH AND GET THROWN OUT AGAIN! I'm only kinda kidding.

Gladiator: I have looked at Bible passages the way I picture old trackers searching for clues on a cold trail. A lot may have happened to obscure the trail of Jesus but I'm counting on learning at least the general directionhe was going. That said, the word Logos was a different word than the word used for "the holy writing". Jesus was referred to as the Logos. The word has a meaning that is not much about a single word definition as a thought or concept.

The inestimable value of Jesus being a living expression of God is most obvious if you are poor and illiterate. The poor and illiterate are so often the very ones who most love to hear the words of Jesus. They take in the Jesus story and his parables. (Parables seem far less corruptible for the poor than the delicate and perishible qualities of a text. A shrewdand faithful listener to the parables will go long toward understanding the gospel without a reference library to help him, imo.). It has always grabbed me that when John the Baptist asked Jesus if he was the One or not, Jesus answered: "Go back and tell John what you hear and see; the blind see again, and the lame walk, lepers are cleansed, and the dead are raised to life and the Good News is proclaimed to the poor; happy is the man who does not lose faith in me".

I read but I think about Jesus. I'm "semi-literate)

• not a captive
    not a captive

If you find that a slippery answer, Gladiator. Then I am going to say that Jesus talked slippery talk also.

Mostly, faith is Jacob wrestling with the angel for a blessing. Faithful men and women in old Bible stories were scaliwags in so many ways. But the general thought I take away is that they each had their wrestlings. No one inherits the "winner's buckle" from somebody ahead of them.

• tec
    tec

I have looked at Bible passages the way I picture old trackers searching for clues on a cold trail. A lot may have happened to obscure the trail of Jesus but I'm counting on learning at least the general directionhe was going.

Good analogy.

The bible is a guide - and without it we would have oral tradition that would also be a guide. But this is why Jesus, himself, is the Word of God. Our faith should be first and foremost in Christ, in something spiritual. Not in paper and ink that can be corrupted and mistranslated and lost.

I think that Jesus modeled for us what we are supposed to do when we get tossed out for being faithful: Don't start a new religion: JOIN ANOTHER CHURCH AND GET THROWN OUT AGAIN! I'm only kinda kidding.

I get it :) We should stick to the faith given us, no matter what is being done to us. If this brings us to a group, fine. If it helps heal or unite some of Christianity, great. But if it means we're on our own (though not really if we have Christ), then so be it. It goes back to being true to our consciences, through love and faith in Christ.

Love and faith in Christ is the narrow path, imo. Not rules and doctrines.

Tammy

• not a captive
    not a captive

Love and faith in Christ is the narrow path, imo.

I like that, because I think that's it,

Lots to think about. Good night , Sister.

• tec
    tec

Good night , Sister.

Goodnight to you, Maeve. See you tomorrow.

Tammy

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    You cover the board with endless threads supporting your faith but when asked for a sensible response, develop sloppy shoulders.

Dude, let me make this as plain as possible and as less slippery as possible:
    IT IS UP TO YOU TO FIND YOUR PERONAL REALTIONSHIP WITH GOD !

And each of us will have a different one, don't you get that yet?

You want a blanket answer to your questions?

Will, sorry my friend but there isn't one and never has been nor ever will be.

I hold the bible to seriously to take it literal.

• not a captive
    not a captive

Dear PSac--It is hard to express this stuff isn't it? Don't get discouraged. It is true that Jesus had barriers to communicating too. "Have I been with you so long...?"

I enjoy following your posts.

Maeve

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Maeve, I understand what you mean but at times it is a bit frustrating and discouraging.

I know that many have been mindhumped by the WT, but it is hard to understand those that have left and see where the WT is wrong on so many accounts, why they can't be wrong on this too.

Why some persist on the belief that there is only one way to have a relationship with God and why some think that PERSONAL relationship means the same for everyone is beyond me, but I am trying to understand it.

I hope that with this understanding I can be able to reach my family that are Jw's, but to be honest, as I see so many here still with the WT mentality in their ways and actions, even after leaving for years, I begin to worry about ever reaching my family.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

PSacramento

Your personal relationship with god is a private matter. A personal, subjective, spiritual belief; but this thread is not about your relationship with God. As far as I can remember, I have never criticised your faith or your belief in your God relationship. I can and do respect people's faith and the comfort it brings them.

This thread is just one example of Christians publicly quoting scripture and debating their meaning in relation to the Christain faith. Using the Bible as a serious textbook to settle disputes. I have no problem with that.

What I find inconsistent is the way the Holy Writ can suddenly become a collection of musings to be believed or not whenever an inconvenient passage is quoted. If you think the Bible is irrelevant to your faith, fine, but why quote from it as an authority when it suits you.

The issue I have raised is about the inconsistent way the Bible is used by some Christians. The comments that you and other believers have made regarding the Bible, discredits its authenticity more than any remarks I have made, on any thread.

If your faith is not based on the bible, how do you know who you have a relationship with or what his son's name is?

It is not my desire to upset you or any believer but I do feel compled to ask how you manage to perform the mental gymnastics that you do with the Bible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit