How did you dispose of all those excess magazines?

by chicken little 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• JWoods
    JWoods

We lived out in the country and burned our trash - so, you can fill it in from there.

I really always wondered what the true percentage of Watchtower & Awake copies was that actually got into the public's hands and had even a chance of being read by them. I always put it at less than ten percent.

That was back at a time when the total publication was given at around 10 million, IIRC.

• donny
    donny

Back in my JW days, I did like many do, I "dumped" them in laundrymats and phone booths.

I know one fader who says they make great bird cage liners.

Donny

• straightshooter
    straightshooter

We would leave the mag at garage sales or forward them to the regular pioneers.

• Coffee House Girl
    Coffee House Girl

I used to pile them in the back of my closet & when the pile got to be as tall as me I would sneak into work and shred them in the industrial shreder- I was so afraid someone would see me.

I saw a big pile in the back of my closet a few months back & I scooped them up and slammed them in the dumpster with glee!

I like the birdcage liner idea....

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

I just threw mine away after they were 2 to 3 months old.

-mentallyfree31-

• Open mind
    Open mind

The magazines were great for fire starting and/or rolled up into fire logs up until around 1980. Then the paper quality started improving and the fuel quality started going down. They don't burn nearly as well now as they used to.

Oh well. Ours go into the recycle bin.

om

• sd-7
    sd-7

I just threw them in the trash. If there's one thing we can agree on, though, it's that they're definitely made of recycled material...

• RR
    RR
    How did you dispose of all those excess magazines?

I didn't .... over 15 years since I left, and I still have them.

• make yourself
    make yourself

knock on the doors and nobody answers slip one in the door

• serenitynow!
    serenitynow!

I've gotten to the point where my family member mails 'em to me, I open the envelope and head straight to the garbage can. I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to donate all my old lit or just trash it.

Having never been a dub myself, how did you end up with extras? How many are we talking about here?

Mad Dawg, the "literature servant" would give you a certain amount of mags to place. But of course, I didn't place too many if any, and the mags came out so often, I think like twice a month, so they would pile up at the house. It was possible to just have hundreds of old mags stockpiled. They made us feel bad about throwing them out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit