Was There Anything You Liked About Being A Jehovah's Witness???

by minimus 43 Replies latest jw friends

• agonus
    agonus

I did, and do, LOVE the people. And that's the biggest problem. The more you see the humanity and humility in these people, the more you see the arrogance, lack of love, and hypocrisy in the assholes on the GB.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Nothing. Eventually, the knowledge of its being the "truth" goes bad once they start welshing on too many of their promises.

• I quit!
    I quit!

Initially yes. In the end very little. At first I thought I was really on to something by the time I left I could see it was not what it claim to be. What they claimed was the truth turn out to be lies and the love they showed turned out to be conditional which isn't love at all. It was all smoke and mirrors and I didn't even get fresh donuts.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

At the time back in the early 70's when I believed in 1975 and thought it was the truth,

I enjoyed the friendships. I enjoyed the social aspects. We went out to dinner with the friends every weekend

and would get together for parties and to drink and play cards. We went camping and fishing together.

We had congregation picknicks and got together on the weekends to play baseball, foot ball, basketball

and field hockey.

But once 76 came I knew it was a lie and couldnt do it any more.

• The Finger
    The Finger

I have to say I didn't really enjoy or not enjoy it was just what and who I was. Some people were friendly but I have few friends and because we did stand up for what we believed and I did. I also stood up for what I believed in the congregation which didn't help.

I liked the closeness to God I felt. I liked the feeling of cleanliness in the congregation.

• crapola
    crapola

Not anything I can think of.

• freydo
    freydo

There was plenty to like, otherwise people wouldn't be so zealous in spite of the obvious abuses.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

Conventions were a lot more fun back in the 70s. I always worked in food service and the food WAS good. They'd use Witnesses who worked as top notch restaurant chefs and such.

I worked in restaurants back then as a cook, so I did that and didn't have to listen to the boring programs. I pretty much only showed up for the drama at the big assemblies.

Leave it to the WTS to take the only fun thing out of the conventions. My husband quit going when they quit having work too...he can't sit for long without dying of boredom and always preferred working at assemblies.

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I never minded seeing men in nice suits, but over the years, I saw some brothers in some suits that looked like they'd mugged a clown. I'll never forget when an elder showed up in a new suit for the Memorial that had a huge tractor tire check on it, in mustard gold and olive green. It was the 70s. He looked like a sleazeball used car salesman and thought he looked great.

I had to bite my lip not to giggle every time I looked at him during the Memorial.

• freydo
    freydo

It was like life. If there weren't moments of pleasure people would commit suicide in droves. Like it says in the Declaration of Independence,

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit