Head of gold

by hoj 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hoj
    hoj

One night I woke up and couldn’t get back to sleep. About 4:00 I got up and turned my computer on to study with my electronic Bible program. The verse that was selected was Dan. 2:34 about the stone hewn without hands. The verse got my attention, and I didn’t have anything in particular that I intended on studying anyway.

I started reading the chapter from the beginning. Verse 37 jumped out at me. In the interpretation Daniel said to Nebuchadnezzar, “thou, O king, art a king of kings…” That was a title fitting for Christ. Then the next verse has “…thou art this head of gold.” Previously in telling the dream Daniel said that the head was fine gold. Fine gold would be fitting to represent Christ.

The image clearly represented successive kingdoms over time. I knew that if Christ was the head of gold, then it would describe the Church age because He is the head of the Church. I was surprised when I started to test the idea. Here is the dream and Daniel’s interpretation with my comments inserted:

Dan 2:31-45 KJV Thou, O king, sawest, and behold a great image. This great image, whose brightness was excellent, stood before thee; and the form thereof was terrible. (32) This image's head was of fine gold, his breast and his arms of silver, his belly and his thighs of brass, (33) His legs of iron, his feet part of iron and part of clay. (34) Thou sawest till that a stone was cut out without hands, which smote the image upon his feet that were of iron and clay, and brake them to pieces. (35) Then was the iron, the clay, the brass, the silver, and the gold, broken to pieces together, and became like the chaff of the summer threshingfloors; and the wind carried them away, that no place was found for them: and the stone that smote the image became a great mountain, and filled the whole earth. (36) This is the dream; and we will tell the interpretation thereof before the king.

Daniel told the dream, and here is his interpretation with my comments inserted:

(37) Thou, O king, art a king of kings: for the God of heaven hath given thee a kingdom, power, and strength, and glory. (38) And wheresoever the children of men dwell, the beasts of the field and the fowls of the heaven hath he given into thine hand, and hath made thee ruler over them all. Thou art this head of gold.

It seems that Daniel is putting Nebuchadnezzar in the place of Christ.

(39) And after thee shall arise another kingdom inferior to thee,

The early Church would be after Christ, inferior to Him; yet represented by a precious metal, silver.

and another third kingdom of brass, which shall bear rule over all the earth.

For over a thousand years the Catholic church ruled the world; controlling doctrine, traditions, and even Scriptures. They came after the early church.

(40) And the fourth kingdom shall be strong as iron: forasmuch as iron breaketh in pieces and subdueth all things: and as iron that breaketh all these, shall it break in pieces and bruise.

The reformers broke the Catholic church in pieces; and then the reformed churches broke in pieces giving us multitudes of Protestant churches.

(41) And whereas thou sawest the feet and toes, part of potters' clay, and part of iron, the kingdom shall be divided; but there shall be in it of the strength of the iron, forasmuch as thou sawest the iron mixed with miry clay. (42) And as the toes of the feet were part of iron, and part of clay, so the kingdom shall be partly strong, and partly broken. (43) And whereas thou sawest iron mixed with miry clay, they shall mingle themselves with the seed of men: but they shall not cleave one to another, even as iron is not mixed with clay.

We are to be clay in the hands of the Potter. The clay mingles with the seed of men, which would be their doctrines, but won’t cleave to them. The kingdom is divided and weak. Everything up to this has been fulfilled already.

(44) And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever. (45) Forasmuch as thou sawest that the stone was cut out of the mountain without hands, and that it brake in pieces the iron, the brass, the clay, the silver, and the gold; the great God hath made known to the king what shall come to pass hereafter: and the dream is certain, and the interpretation thereof sure.

The stone hewn out of the mountain of God without hands causes the image of Babylon to fall. The stone isn’t the work of men’s hands. It is the work of God. As much as the apostles established the kingdom of silver, and the church fathers joined with Constantine to start the Catholic church, and the reformers protested and broke it in pieces; I believe this stone carved out by God will be certain people chosen and taught by God who will smite the image until it falls and it all becomes one kingdom. Jesus’ prayer for unity in John 17 will have been answered.

The Church started out with Christ as the head. We can see from history that there have been many power struggles within the Church and that men have taken headship. There are distinct ages of the Church which are represented well in the image from the dream. You could say that the king of Babylon is now the head of what we would call the Church, and I feel that is why Nebuchadnezzar was said to be the head.

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

O No!!! The GB has hacked hoj's account. "Fine gold would be fitting", "The image clearly represented".

If your really looking to figure it out, here's a hint - you won't get the answer just looking at those scriptures in Daniel. You must find the clues throughout the entire bible, hidden yet the same prophecy, each containing more parts of the clue.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

You guys have seen National Treasure one too many times.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I love that movie!

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

I love that movie!

Me too!

• hoj
    hoj

"If your really looking to figure it out, here's a hint - you won't get the answer just looking at those scriptures in Daniel. You must find the clues throughout the entire bible, hidden yet the same prophecy, each containing more parts of the clue."

Yes, it is because of what I see throughout the Bible that I saw my interpretation of the dream. My view of Babylon and what the "last days" is all about comes from the whole Bible. The details of the image are figurative according to definitions supplied throughout the Bible. For example, we are clay in the hands of the potter. The dream had potters clay in it. The meaning of "seed of men" can be deduced by letting the Bible interpret it. The word translated as “breast” is plural. Some translations have “breast” and some “chest.” But I don’t see any reason that the image must be male. If the image were female, that would explain that the breasts would be plural. It seems that theologians think Nebuchadnezzar was seeing an image of himself over time. But Daniel’s interpretation is that the image represents his kingdom over time. His kingdom was Babylon. Babylon would be represented as female. In Revelation she is the great whore.

The materials that the image was made of are figurative in Scripture. Gold is the most pure, and silver also has high purity and value. The brass and iron are of interest.

Deu 28:23 And thy heaven that is over thy head shall be brass, and the earth that is under thee shall be iron.

What kind of heaven is this that would be brass, or the earth that it would be iron? In the first chapter of Genesis it says that lights were put in the firmament of heaven. Those lights were stars and the sun. At Revelation 1:20 it defines the stars as being angels, which could also be translated as messengers. I feel that messengers would be a better translation. Messengers of God should be a source of spiritual light, and therefore are signified by stars. It seems that the brass, or heaven, represents the place the religious leaders rule. The earth, or iron, would represent the people who are being ruled. In Nebuchadnezzar’s dream the brass ruled the world.

Lev 26:19 And I will break the pride of your power; and I will make your heaven as iron, and your earth as brass:

This verse has it switched around. It seems that those who were ruled over become the rulers. In the Protestant churches anyone can put himself in the heavens as a star.

In the dream the metals represent successive kingdoms over time. When it is the iron’s turn to have the kingdom it is like the heaven being made iron as in the above verse. Those who were being ruled became rulers in the Protestant Church. My interpretation is according to all of this.

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

Hey hoj, true or not, you make a reasonable argumet. There never seems to be a shortage of followers waiting for another cult leader ... just stay away from my kids.

• notverylikely
    notverylikely

If the image were female, that would explain that the breasts would be plural.

Men have breasts, too, you know. Some even need a bra.

• wannabefree
  • VoidEater
    VoidEater

Ask Leolaia. She's your only hope.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit