Did you ever REALLY believe anything special happened at Cedar Point Ohio in 1922?

by Sapphy 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

We were taught that the seven angels blowing their trumpets in the book of Revelation relates to various events in the 1920s. The best explanation is given in the 1975 yearbook pages 109 - 183 under the heading "Seven Angels Sound Their Trumpets". But the understanding is affirmed in the Revelation Climax book, albeit with less detail. The events are as follows (& I'm keeping the quotes really short) :

1st Angel - "It all began during the Bible Students’ Cedar Point convention in September 1922. There God’s people enthusiastically adopted a resolution entitled "A Challenge." Boldly it exposed the clergy’s disloyalty..."

2nd Angel - "Under the direction of the secondangelictrumpeter, the Bible Students held a regional convention in Los Angeles, California, on August 18-26, 1923"

3rd Angel When the thirdangelblewhistrumpet, a third of the waters were turned to wormwood. (Rev. 8:10, 11) Significantly, at the Bible Students’ convention of July 20-27, 1924, in Columbus, Ohio, God’s people enthusiastically adopted a resolution termed "Indictment."

I'm just going to give the dates and locations of the next angel blasts, but the above gives a good flavour of the "justification"

4th Angel - "regional convention at Indianapolis, Indiana, on August 24-31, 1925"

5th Angel - "May 25-31 of that year (1926) the Bible Students held an international convention in London, England."

6th Angel - "200,000,000 symbolic horses went forth "to kill a third of the men." Those "horses" picture the means of publicizing a terrifying judgment message, particularly by the printed page. The action began with a notable event of 1927—an international convention of the Bible Students in Toronto, Ontario, Canada

7th Angel - "That globe-encircling announcement began in 1928, when the Bible Students gathered in convention at Detroit, Michigan, July 30-August 6."

My question is, when you were in, did you ever really believe this explanation? I was fascinated by modern-day-fulfilment of prophecy, but I think I stopped believing this at about age 12 & put it in my "wait for new light" mental folder. How did you rationalise these explanations to yourself?

• minimus
    minimus

not really....it's just too ridiculous!

• St George of England
    St George of England

Not a chance! I put it along with the Daniel explanations of 1290 days and 1335 days (Dan 12:11,12), time between certain magazine publications etc. Pure fiction and fantasy!

George

• blondie
    blondie

Definitely a WTS case of understanding prophecy after it happens.

*** w04 2/1 p. 21 par. 13 "The Scene of This World Is Changing"***

Since Bible prophecies are often fully understood only after they are fulfilled or are in the process of fulfillment, we will have to wait and see.

• White Dove
    White Dove

All I ever knew happened there was that they took on the name of JW's. Is that where it happened? Never knew it to be special beyond that.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Everything that happens in Watchtower World is Special!..

................................ ...OUTLAW

• snowbird
    snowbird

They took the name JW in 1931.

No, I never believed that.

Syl

• blondie
    blondie

The name jws was taken on in 1931 after those conventions.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

I used to think that interpretation was over the top and I never really believed it but for some reason I thougt it was ok to not accept the whole package deal and I would tell bible studies that we don't really know what that means. Then one day I realized they expected full compliance and I just couldn't do that.

• sd-7
    sd-7

There was always a blank space in my thoughts when we'd study all that. These outdated talks and publications were supposed to be special; my only thought was, what did they say in that convention, talk, or publication? No one knows, and no one can verify it. Hmm. Would be awfully nice to see what was in those old books. Must've been something special. Weird that they're not in print anymore. Then I moved on, never thinking too hard about it. It was that simple.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit