Converstaion Stoppers, do they really work?

by Mall Cop 15 Replies latest jw friends

• Mall Cop
    Mall Cop

Remember, the topic in the reasoning book, conversation stoppers. Well, did they actually work against you or for you?

Are there conversation stoppers that you use now at your place of work or the bar, or with your significance other, that you use?

• MMXIV
    MMXIV

I rarely tried to get around conversation stoppers - it seemed just plain rude to ignore or disregard what people said, especially when they were just trying to be polite.

When JW's call now I use "I know why you're calling but I'm not interested - thank you anyway" and rapidly close the door.

MMXIV

• hoser
    hoser

we had one sister in our hall that when she went with you on a call she would take over the call at the end and try every possible angle to preach more to the householder, pissing them off and turning them into do not calls.

• looloo
    looloo

when i say i know you mean well and why you have knocked on my door , but my daughter was raped by a man i met at a kingdom hall and believe me you havnt got long enough to listen to why im not interested ! that has always worked as a coversation stopper ! im not rude to them but very clear and they usually look very embarresed and look at me with pity (which is not my aim ) the only person who still tried to carry on past that was a young man of about 17 who unlike the others could obviously not even begin to comprehend what i must feel like (my daughter was only 13 ) he asked me what i thought of the congregation as a whole ? i said "some were nice " others were not " "just like any other religion", he did give up eventually !

• looloo
    looloo

by the way , i bet that conversation stopper is not in the reasoning book !

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

I think they just annoyed people. Communication takes place on so many levels, and most people just want to be polite and pleasant, but not change their religion on the doorstep.

JW - Good morning, my friend and I have been calling on your neighbours and would like to ask you the same question, 'does God / is there / how will / can man"... (Subtext - please take these magazines my report is looking bad)

Householder - Sorry I'm really busy. (Subtext, - I don't want to be rude but oh no it's them again)

JW - Then I'll be brief (subtext HA get out of that one), I'm sure you'll enjoy reading these magazines

Householder - No thanks, I'm really not interested (subtext Go away go away go away)

JW - May I ask what you're not interested in? (now I've got you)

Housholder - No I'm actually really busy (why won't they quit?)

JW - OK is there a convenient time I could call back to talk to you? (Celebration! a return visit!!!)

Householder names a time they'll always be out - JW has a return visit who is always out. Housholder gets the magazines pushed through the door once a month...

• cult classic
    cult classic

Very rarely and they're no different than the workarounds that many salespeople/advertisers use.

All those conversation stopper workarounds did was make the publishers feel as if they weren't doing enough to save people.

Cult Classic

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

I never bought into overcoming conversation stoppers. If a person said they were not interested, i thanked them for their time and told them to have a nice day. Conversation over!

-mentallyfree31-

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

They work when the person behind them is pissed! I remember hearing, "I'm busy," to which I replied, "I'll be brief."

"No! I don't think you heard me. I said I'm busy!" said the guy. Heat flashes up in my cheeks.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Conversation stoppers from the Reasoning book are a Sales 101 tactic. They rarely work, just make you look obnoxious.

I hate it when hawkers on the street use the same tactic trying to stop you to talk to them.

Charity collector "Would you like to help children with cancer?"

Me "sorry, not interested" whilst continuing to walk

CC "Don't you care about children?"

At which I want to stop and thump the person, not donate to them. Yet I used to say almost exactly the same thing whilst street witnessing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit