Quality of this Forum

by stevieb1 120 Replies latest jw friends

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

aChristian,

I always have enjoyed your post, this ones got me on a slow read of maybe about five times.

A lot to think about and I will, I don't know if these figures are true, I don't find your statement false, but to the contrary.
    The magnitude of what is in these post require more investigation for any who would want more proof.

My sugestions to those who find achristians points as mathamatically untrue, please don't hesitate to provide the figures along with references where the figures came from.

If it is truth, it become more evident as it is scrutinized, come on all you scientific experts fire away. But do so in honesty, and don't clutter up the debate with adhominems, dead fish, and strawmen.

If someone lived a trillion X longer than you, and had a billion X more reasoning ability would he come to the same conclusions as you?
  • aChristian
    aChristian

"Numerology," much like astrology, is pure superstition and has no demonstrable connection to reality. With this fact in mind, my belief that the Bible's often used numbers "40" and "400" may constitute the "signs in the sun, moon and stars" which Jesus spoke of can not be fairly called "numerology." For, since these same numbers appear prominently both in the scriptures and in widely published news articles whenever a total solar eclipse occurs, my contentions have a strong and demonstrable connection to reality.

Trying to determine what may be behind the Bible's abundant use of numbers such as "40" is nothing new for Christians. Neither is it an activity which only "numerologists" engage in. The early Church father and philosopher Augustine, writing in about 390 AD made the following comments: "Ignorance of numbers, too, prevents us from understanding things that are set down in scripture in a figurative way. A candid mind, if I may so speak, cannot but be anxious, for example, to ascertain what is meant by the fact that Moses and Elijah, and our Lord Himself, all fasted for forty days."

• Flip
    Flip
    ...to ascertain what is meant by the fact that Moses and Elijah, and our Lord Himself, all fasted for forty days."

There's that pesky, '...by the fact...' again.

Flip

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

aChristian;

You seem to value an open mind, but I have to point out that having an open mind ceases to be useful when your brain falls out! (this is meant to be a friendly joke not ad hominem). My monitor casing is 40cm high (I am absolutely serious, and am not making this up for the sake of arguement; it's an Acer 99sl (19" screen haha!) if you want to check). Yet more evidence that there is a god, no doubt... I’ll address your thing with numbers more specifically below

Your selectivity in addressing points seems to continue. First of all, you only answer my claim that there would be no major time difference (and I was assuming you wanted everyone who wanted to carry on the debate to correspond personally, which would obviously be more time consuming) between personal correspondence and replying to issues on the board.

You do not address my point regarding what a Christian’s course of action should be (tough, I know, but it’s your decision to identify yourself as one and thus with an expected set of standards).

You do not address the fact that you are not alone amongst religious people in thinking they are right, and that these separate beliefs, all claiming to be right to one extent or the other, are not often held to be mutually compatible.

You do not answer as to your personal status at the time you recovered your belief, or as to whether in the period you had belief you were passive, or active in learning about scientific explanations for existence.

When I make a point about you making an erroneous argument (comparing the evidence for the OJ Simpson trial or against the Earth being flat to the evidence for god), you do not address that point at all. You rather accuse me of being closed minded because of saying “There is no proof…” (contextually a statement of my current opinion based on what I know, and therefore obviously qualified as such) instead of “I am not now aware of the existence of any proof of god that equates…”.

Not including clear expressions of the context an opinion is stated in is not an indication of a closed mind; it is a common feature of conversation, which everyone does;

“Golly, isn’t it cold today.”

vs.

“Golly, in my subjective experience based upon my state of attire and perception of ambient temperature, factoring in wind chill and climactic expectations for this time of year and geographical location, I am of the opinion that it is cold today.”

Saying, “I think” all the time is no more an indication of an open mind than the colour of someone’s underwear.

Why is it so hard to answer simple questions? If you are right, show us, don’t avoid answering questions about your beliefs.

You are, to me, watering down your statement that people will not find evidence for the existence of god if they are “not really willing to serve God" to “All I said was that there is very seldom enough evidence to convince someone of something they strongly wish not to believe”.

You ignore the judgementalism implicit in your earlier, less guarded statements, (as they say that it is the person’s fault for not believing, not the creators for not providing proof, and that is a judgement). You also ignore (as pointed out above) the fact that the examples you gave were BAD examples which undermined the validity of your argument.

And you carry on showing that your statement is, indeed, judgemental;

“I also said that I do not believe God will ever present us with so much evidence of His existence that even those who do not want to believe in Him would now be forced to do so.”

I am glad that you think “…all who are really willing to believe in God will eventually find enough evidence to put their faith in Him”, and “I believe many who now appear to be unwilling to believe in God may actually be very willing to believe in Him”. But that does not remove the fact you think the mind of the person is more important in determining their belief in god than the facts, which we are obviously going to have to differ on, as I think you are making the tail wag the dog on that one. I am human therefore it is my fault?

You then go to an article presented as part of your compelling evidence; thank you for posting this.

The facts as presented regarding coincidences of dimension or size ratios do not appear at fault. Please remember, any calculation of the liklihood of the sun/moon size/distance ratio being exact matches is based on the presumption that it is unusual, as it's the only example we have at the moment to go on, and seems remarkable (and probably is, but it's an assumption without more data, and telescopes won't be that good for a while yet). There is a number sequence in the distance of the planets from the sun, for example (can't remember it's name) that correctly places the planets, including one where the Asteroid Belt is.

For all we know, two-unit systems (the Earth and the Moon really orbit the Sun as a two-unit system, not as a planet with a satellite, as the Moon is a very large satellite compared to the others we have to compare it to) might be a common feature of inner, largely rock solar satellites...

But it's not the facts that bug me, it's the presumptions;

First point; it is based on the presumption that the Bible is the word of god, and that this is proved by perceived numerical indications woven into the Universe. You have not yet proved WHY the Bible stands out from other Holy Books. As pointed out, every faith tends to hold their Holy Books as inspired to one extent or the other. They (the books) don’t all agree, so some, probably most are wrong, and if that is the case, why is the Bible the right one, especially in light of the fact other faiths play number games too?

You cannot say, “Hey, look at the number coincidences, it’s god’s word” unless you can prove all other Holy Books with number coincidences that do not agree with the Bible are false.

Second point; why the obscureness? Please include scriptures in making this argument. Why is god making it so complicated?

Please avoid cautious scriptures like ‘Let the man who has discernment’, or scriptures that make out accurate knowledge is by its nature elitist. If someone was writing a false Holy Book, then sentences like those, and self-fulfilling sentences like “When you say the world’s going to end, they will laugh and say it’s always been this way” are no indication of inspiration. Any half decent forger (or delusional writer) of Holy Books would make sure they could fudge anything that could be used to disprove the inspired nature of their work, like hard facts and clear statements.

I have yet to see any scripture or argument that supports the lack of closure possible from scriptural interpretation. It seems contrary to any claim to a caring god, if the caring god is playing hide the sausage with the real truth. The numerical coincidences could have been clearly stated. They are not, they are inferred and interpretive; like my monitor’s height, they may have nothing to do with anything other than the fact you can take any number from a book and find places where you find that number outside of the book. Why are not clearly stated, like;

“For look, the Sun is great and the Moon is small, but in the heavens they are matched in size, as a sign, for the Sun is great, but far away, and thus appears the same size as the Moon. Indeed, the Moon although small can blot out the Sun when it passes between the Earth and the Sun, but only for a short while.”

Now THAT would be a truly impressive scripture! But instead you have the creator of the Universe playing what amount to silly games with hidden messages requiring secret decoder rings to understand.

WHY? And remember the scriptures.

Oh, 4,005 years between Christ and Adam… based on Biblical year counts including inflated ages of pre-flood patriarchs? So did they live that long? Or does the Bible lie about their ages to make the numbers fit? Where does it say in the Bible that it is lying about their ages to make the numbers fit? How do you know when to take it literally and when to take it figuratively?

aChristian, I do appreciate you taking the time to defend your viewpoint, and don’t expect an immediate reply as I accept you are pushed for time, but hope I will get one eventually.

You have an interesting argument, but not a convincing one unless you can come up with a very good rebuttal of the problems I have raised.

Please don’t mistake my direct style for aggression or anything like that. I love discussions like this, and expect no quarter or give none, but all it is is a discussion. I am attacking points, not you (bar a well-meant jape or two at your expense, or to highlight what I believe are faults in your argument in an illustrative manner; you are more than free to return these in kind as it’s all part of the fun).

Whether it was god, or billions of years of evolution that gave us these brains, it is a shame to waste them!

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

AC,

I have quoted here from Young’s 1898 trans. Matt. 24:23-31 and have many questions but will restrict myself to a few of my thoughts about these verses and invite your observations.

24:23 `Then if any one may say to you, Lo, here [is] the Christ!
    or here! ye may not believe;
    24:24 for there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets,
    and they shall give great signs and wonders, so as to lead
    astray, if possible, also the chosen.
    24:25 Lo, I did tell you beforehand.
    24:26 `If therefore they may say to you, Lo, in the wilderness
    he is, ye may not go forth; lo, in the inner chambers, ye may
    not believe;
    24:27 for as the lightning doth come forth from the east, and
    doth appear unto the west, so shall be also the presence of the
    Son of Man;
    From what Jesus says here it seems obvious to me that any human that claims to be Christ is an impostor, and that Christ coming again will be plainly observable to all from skyward observations.

24:28 for wherever the carcase may be, there shall the eagles be
    gathered together.
    The sons of God will be gathered to their Lord as Paul mentioned, to meet him in the air.

24:29 `And immediately after the tribulation of those days, the
    sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light,
    and the stars shall fall from the heaven, and the powers of the
    heavens shall be shaken;
    A time of trouble, for either all of the earth's inhabitants or just the sons of the kingdom?

24:30 and then shall appear the sign of the Son of Man in the
    heaven; and then shall all the tribes of the earth smite the
    breast, and they shall see the Son of Man coming upon the
    clouds of the heaven, with power and much glory;
    24:31 and he shall send his messengers with a great sound of a
    trumpet, and they shall gather together his chosen from the
    four winds, from the ends of the heavens unto the ends thereof.
    This seems to be a repeating of what was just said with more details added? Perhaps?

From these verses it’s seem much more than knowing these ratios of 4, 40, 400, 4000, and 400,000,000,000 in the sun, moon, stars, and galaxies.

It seem to me to be something that is catastrophic that causes all to beat themselves with much worry.

While I don’t doubt that these number finding of yours to true and helpful to christians for building faith I think the signs are much more that that.

If someone lived a trillion X longer than you, and had a billion X more reasoning ability would he come to the same conclusions as you?
  • aChristian
    aChristian

Ab,

I did not want to post this material. But you insisted that I provide some "evidence" for the existence of the God of the Bible. I told you I did not have time to answer all the questions I knew doing so would raise. As expected, I have already had to defend myself on the board against various charges including "numerology." I have also received several E mails which I will be able to answer only in a very limited way due to time constraints. So I hope you will understand if I do not respond to all your questions or comments. I prefer to let what I have posted exist on its own merits. If it gets someone to think that there may be something to the idea that the God of the Bible created our universe, great. If not, then I hope God will reveal to them some other kind of evidence of His existence that will be more to their liking.

You wrote: My monitor casing is 40cm high.

All the 40s and 400s I referenced were ratios in the sun, moon and stars. I also spoke of the planet Pluto and the distance across our solar system. Planets were at the time of Christ also called "stars." ( The planets, because of their movement, were then called "wandering stars." Our word "planet" was, in fact, derived from the Greek word "planes," which weans "wanderer.") Centimeters are a man made measurement like inches or cubits or feet or miles. Certainly, with all the various ways of measuring available to us we would have little trouble coming up with a 4, 40 or 400 measurement of some kind for just about everything. That's why I have only discussed ratios, as have the astronomers in the articles I quoted. Besides, Jesus said, "There will be signs in the sun, moon and stars." He did not say there would be signs in everyday household objects like your computer monitor.

You wrote: you think the mind of the person is more important in determining their belief in god than the facts

I think a person's attitude is important in determining whether or not God will reveal facts to that person which will instill belief in him.

You wrote: There is a number sequence in the distance of the planets from the sun, for example (can't remember it's name) that correctly places the planets, including one where the Asteroid Belt is.

You refer to Bode's Law. In 1766 an astronomer by the name of Johann Daniel Titius published an observation. He wrote that the spacing of our solar system's then discovered planets followed a pattern which was based both on the # 4 and on our own planet Earth's distance from the sun. His observation was popularized a few years later in a book written by astronomer Johann Elert Bode. Titius' observation, which later became known as "Bode's Law," in effect predicted that if other planets existed in our solar system they would be found in locations which followed the same previously noted pattern. Bode's Law was soon criticized by many. For critics asked, "How would the other planets in our solar system all develop solar orbits patterned after the solar orbit of Earth?" Their skepticism seemed well founded. For no theoretical basis for Bode's Law has ever been found. It does not follow, as do other relationships, the laws of motion or the law of gravitation. Yet, in spite of that controversy, many astronomers searched the heavens looking for "new" planets in locations where Bodes Law predicted "new" planets would be found. When their efforts proved largely successful those who had criticized Bode's Law began to do some serious head scratching.

You wrote: why the obscureness? Please include scriptures in making this argument. Why is god making it so complicated? ... It seems contrary to any claim to a caring god, if the caring god is playing hide the sausage with the real truth.

I believe Jesus is the Creator of our universe. If He is then to me it makes perfect sense that He would give us evidence of His identity in His cosmic creations, while at the same time not making that evidence so easy to see that everyone would have to see it. For to do such a thing is consistent with the Jesus we know from scripture. Let's remember how Jesus taught. Mark tells us that whenever Jesus spoke to crowds of people which contained both His friends and His enemies, "He did not say anything to them without using a parable. But when he was alone with his own disciples he explained everything. " (Mark 4:34) Why did Jesus speak in parables? Why did He go to all the trouble of telling such often hard to understand stories to crowds which gathered to hear Him speak? Was the purpose of the parables to help all who listened to Jesus come to clearly understand the deep things of God? No, it was not. In fact often Jesus' purpose in speaking the way that He did was just the opposite. Jesus told His disciples, "The knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of God has been given to you, but to others I speak in parables, so that though seeing they may not see and though hearing they may not understand." (Luke 8:10, see also Mt. 13:10-15)

Jesus understood that many of His listeners had hearts hardened against Him, and from such people, through the use of parables, He deliberately withheld "the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of God." He did so by incorporating into those parables elements which He knew His enemies would find fault with and the spiritually lazy would end up stumbling over. Now, remember according to the Bible, the Lord is the same "yesterday, today and forever." (Heb. 13:8) Is it any wonder then that He caused the Bible to be written and incorporated evidence of His identity into the sun, moon and stars, in the same way that He, as Jesus Christ, spoke to audiences which contained both His friends and His enemies? Remember, He did so in a way that would give His enemies opportunity to find fault, the spiritually lazy opportunity to stumble and His true disciples opportunity to gain "the knowledge of the secrets of the kingdom of God." And the population of earth today is made up of the same kinds of people who listened to Jesus' parables, is it not? And if the universe was designed and created by the speaker of those parables, doesn't it make sense that it would have been designed and created in the same way that those parables were spoken? In a way that would only reveal "the secrets of the kingdom of God" to people who are both pure of heart and not spiritually lazy. Remember also that Jesus said that, "The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field." (Matt. 13:44) Hidden treasure requires effort to find. It does not sit right in front of everyone, so that even those who are not willing to exert themselves can easily grab hold of it.

You wrote: it is based on the presumption that the Bible is the word of god

No, it is not. When I discovered this "evidence" I was an exJW and no longer believed that the Bible was the word of God. Though I was still open to the possibility of God's existence and had recently been praying to God and asking Him, if He existed, to please help me understand His will for me. The fact is, I had recently been ridiculing the Bible to a friend by saying that it was obviously just a book filled with superstitions of men. I had used as an example the Bible's numerous uses of the numbers 40 and 400. Later that same day I picked up a magazine which was discussing a recent solar eclipse and how solar eclipses are caused by the "extremely serendipitous" relationship the sun, moon and earth have with the number 400. I began to wonder if there might be a connection between the Bible's use of the number 400 and the fact that the same number appears to the minds of astronomers when the moon eclipses the sun in the sky.

You wrote: Oh, 4,005 [actually I said 4,000] years between Christ and Adam… based on Biblical year counts including inflated ages of pre-flood patriarchs? So did they live that long?

I believe they did. But that is another long discussion.

• aChristian
    aChristian

DW,

You wrote: From what Jesus says here it seems obvious to me that any human that claims to be Christ is an impostor, and that Christ coming again will be plainly observable to all from skyward observations.

I agree.

You wrote: The sons of God will be gathered to their Lord as Paul mentioned, to meet him in the air.

I agree.

You wrote: quote: 24:29 `And immediately after the tribulation of those days, the
    sun shall be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from the heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken; .....A time of trouble, for either all of the earth's inhabitants or just the sons of the kingdom?

Both. However, I believe that Christ was in these verses using symbolic language to refer to the loss of spiritual sources of light which will occur when Christianity is outlawed shortly before Christ returns.

You wrote: 24:30 and then shall appear the sign of the Son of Man in the heaven; and then shall all the tribes of the earth smite the breast, and they shall see the Son of Man coming upon the clouds of the heaven, with power and much glory; 24:31 and he shall send his messengers with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his chosen from the four winds, from the ends of the heavens unto the ends thereof. ....
    From these verses it’s seem much more than knowing these ratios of 4, 40, 400, 4000, and 400,000,000,000 in the sun, moon, stars, and galaxies. It seem to me to be something that is catastrophic that causes all to beat themselves with much worry.

Evidently, you believe that Christ's phrase "then shall appear the sign of the Son of Man in the heaven;" and His following phrase, "and then shall all the tribes of the earth smite the breast" are describing a cause and effect relationship, and are also describing two events which immediately follow each other in time. I do not think they have to be understood in such a way. I believe Christ may have been describing two unrelated events with some space of time between them. I believe the two events which have a cause and effect relationship and which immediately follow each other in time are these two: "Then shall all the tribes of the earth smite the breast, for they shall see the Son of Man coming upon the clouds of the heaven, with power and much glory." Noticed I have changed the word "and" to "for." The Greek word there translated as "and" is "kai." Greek lexicons inform us that translators are free to do what I have done if they feel doing so best fits the text. The fact is, "kai" may be translated a large number of ways, including "when," which I think in this case would also work quite well in helping us understand what I believe Christ was saying.

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

aC,

What can I say? You make sense to me.

I went on a long mushroom picking walk to day, I got lots of Turkey Tails(immune strengthener) and a nice 5lb mushroom, hard as wood, I think it's a Reshie(bad speller).

Anyway I came to the conclusion today that God, is 3 in one.
    For since God knows everything he and is complete in the absolute sense he must be 3 in 1 because that's the only way he could have come down to Earth. He must have always been a 3 in one for he's complete and that is what was needed for him to die for us. I could say more but I won't because I like to be as simple as I can be.

• JanH
    JanH

Dw,

What can I say? You make sense to me.

I went on a long mushroom picking walk to day

The temptation to misuse those two sentences so close together is almost overwhelming

- Jan
    --

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Jan,

Your funny, I mean you have a good sense of humor. Thanks

Jan I appreciate your observations I really do. You have a good head on your shoulders and I think your not one to cave under peer presure, I think your desire to find the truth whatever it is, is why you learn so much.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit