Do other religions change doctrine?

by serenitynow! 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

I don't mind that the WTBTS changes things as they come to understand them differently or when time proves their old understandings to be wrong. The thing that bothers me is knowing there are other things that I was taught to believe that will be changed at some later date. If back in the 30's a Witness was stumbled over the building of a mansion for the resurected men of old or if in the 60's someone rejected the date of 1975 or worse went ahead and used blood fragments during a surgery, they would have been DF'd or viewed as an apostate for not going along with or doing something that is now ok. They say they are being led by Jehovah but it seems to me that he would have led them to the correct understanding the first time...many many years ago. Some of these errors or changes can mean life or death to real people. My Father (not a witness but studied for years in the 60's) died because he signed a no blood directive based on what he had learned back then. It was a routine operation and he signed the directive just in case what he learned was correct. He was assured that there wasn't a remote possibility that he would need blood. After the surgery his blood count began dropping drastically due to internal bleeding. He was too weak and his blood count was too low for them to go in to do repairs without giving him blood. It was too late to change the directive once he was in critical condition. My sister was sitting at the end of his bed as he lay unconcious when suddenly he bolted up and scrambled across the bed and seized her pleading for help. He died in her arms seconds later and she's been a wreck ever since. My siblings and I grew up believing that our sweet gentle father was going to be destroyed at Armegeddon because he came to an accurate knowledge of the truth but never got babtized. We dreaded the tribulation and believed it could break out any day as the year 1975 approached (my high school graduation year) All four of us kids would plead with him to "come into the truth" We had nightmares about the tribulation and even worried that he would be one of those they said would turn on us during the at the end. My sister used to burst out crying at the hall whenever this subject came up. Talk about emotional abuse !

I am new to this discussion group so I haven't even scratched the surface of what my family and my wifes family have been through over the years as Witnesses and the event that led to us calling it quits for good. The crazy thing is that after all we've been through I can't shake that "what if they're right" feeling. On one level I realize that I have been programmed since childhood but on another level I worry that i'm doing the wrong thing by leaving. I still have this foreboding sense that the end is near and we will be like those scratching at the door ark when the rains came. At this point I don't want anything to do with God or religion. I'm not sure what I believe anymore and have realized that It's OK not to have an answer for everything as I was raised to believe I shoud. I am not responsible for the human condition and if God exists he must know how it is for those who wind up in a "no man's land" because they walked away from some organization that claims to be his exclusive people.

• JeffT
    JeffT

My wife and I went to an evangelic church for about twenty years. Every Sunday as you went in they gave you a leaflet telling you about that weeks events and some other information. On the back was a section about the size of a three by five card that stated their basic beliefs. As of the time we stopped going last year, that statement of belief had not changed.

It helps when you don't think you have to explain everything in the Bible in incredible detail.

• StAnn
    StAnn

JeffT, creeds are a good thing. I think it's interesting that the Dubs never thought to come up with one.

StAnn

• JeffT
    JeffT

StAnn, I believe that Russell was proud of the fact that he subscribed to no creed. Unfortunately, that also meant that he was building something that had no foundation.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Pot Kettle Black

From the Watchtower 22 April 1970

The effect upon many devout Catholics has been devastating. “All these years I thought it was a sin to eat meat,” explained a housewife in the midwestern United States. “Now I suddenly find out it isn’t a sin. That’s hard to understand.”
    If you are a Catholic, can you understand how a practice that was considered by the Church a “mortal sin” can suddenly be approved? if it was a sin five years ago, why is it not today? Many Catholics cannot understand.
    When a woman in Canada was asked how she felt about the changes in her church, she replied: “I don’t know. Maybe you can tell me. What are they going to do with all those people sent to hell for eating meat on Friday?”
    Not just a few Catholics have asked such questions. The change in teaching has shaken their confidence in the Church. Would you not feel the same way if what you had always been taught to be vital for salvation was suddenly considered unnecessary? Would you not be inclined to question other teachings of your church also?

• designs
    designs

StAnn-

Probably the closet thing we had was the Baptism questions, sort of a Catechism.

• designs
    designs

Exwhy-

That sense of forboding will fade away as you get healthier and your new life with new friends take hold.

All the best

• hoj
    hoj

"Sounds a bit like Unitarianism to me..."

Agonus, I looked into Unitarianism and at first I thought it sounded good. But it looks to me that they see everybody's truth to be truth for them. I don't feel that way at all. I feel there is one Truth, let's find it. Let's seek until we agree in Truth. From what I read it seems Unitarians are content agreeing to disagree.

If creeds and doctrines are without error they could keep the people in truth. But what happens is that because of the error in the creeds and doctrines they keep the people in error.

• bob1999
    bob1999

"The crazy thing is that after all we've been through I can't shake that "what if they're right" feeling"

Salvation is through faith not the GB. Relax. They are not right.

Try reading Romans, Ephesians and Galatians the same way you would read a news paper.

Paul's message is clear.

Romans 5:1 Therefore since we are justified by faith we have peace with God through Christ

Romans 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation for those in Christ

Ephesians 1:13 In him you also, who have heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and have believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, which is the guarantee of our [your] inheritance until we acquire possession of it....

Galatians 3:23-29 Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. 24So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. 25Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law. 26You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, 27for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

Examples of this message are all over the New Testament. Salvation, for the believer, is assured. We should be the most relaxed people on earth.

Peace

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Black Sheep - Good example. Further proof that the WTS does not practice what it preaches. Don't believe everything you read [unless it's in scripture], and certainly don't believe anything that's in the Watchtower about other faiths....including it's own.

The meat thing was never a mortal sin, I mean can you really imagine anyone actually believing that God would send folks to hell for eating meat on a friday?!

dc

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit