As a JW, Did You Pray & Study With Your Spouse?

by mentallyfree31 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

Thanks for the comments everybody. Some of these are quite funny. Evidently, it wasn't just me that had a problem with this.

-mentallyfree31-

• JWoods
    JWoods

mentallyfree31, I can honestly tell you that I never knew a JW couple who actually did this...not even Special Pioneers who I worked with back in the day.

Most people were so dragged down by the formal schedule that they simply had no time for such things as this.

• blondie
    blondie

We studied together...it made it a little more interesting...we could bounce ideas off each other. My hubbie had plenty of info he had to know each week. No kids - no family study. We found though that few MS or elders who did not have kids, did not study with their wives. The other elders wives were jealous because mine did, and their husbands were mad because mine did.

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

A few years ago I was at a friends house (we were all on "the edge" of the congo) and my friend asks me to pray. There was about 8-10 of us. Now, we've all been drinking a bit and I thought it would be funny, so I prayed, "Dear Jehovah, thanks for the meat, let's eat! Amen!"

We all broke out in laughter, I asked if I should say a real one. Everyone said, hell no that was perfect!!

I think most of that group are no longer Jdubs or they're inactive.

Back on topic, I hate when I'm over at the parents house or they over at mine and we have to do family prayer for dinner.

• Psychotic Parrot
    Psychotic Parrot

The last time that we had j-dub family over, around last christmas i think, inevitably a prayer was said before dinner. Throughout the prayer i kept my eyes open & ate my food. Then, when the prayer was finished i said: "Thanks for the food mum, it was you who cooked it afterall."

It's crazy when you think about it. Someone spends possibly hours cooking a dinner, only to be ignored whilst God to be thanked for it once it's ready. It makes me feel a bit sick thinking about it actually.

• Desilusionnee
    Desilusionnee

Up until 4 weeks ago, we still did read the daily scriptures brochure, prepare book bible study and watch tower as well as reserve one evening for family study (insofar as one can study with 2 and 5 year old children) and my hubby was always praying with us on those occasions as well as before meal. That was it.

Desi

• SisoNoSiso
    SisoNoSiso

Never studied but prayed at most meals. Now that we're gone from the cult, the obligatory meal-prayer is gone with it. Now, we pray when we damn well please.

But we read a whole lot more than we ever did as JWs.

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

It's funny that so many people didn't do this, even thought it was pounded so hard at all the meetings. Personally, I have great reading comprehension and love to read, but doing it with somebody else, I don't get anything out of it. I prefer to read privately in a quiet place.

-mentallyfree31-

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

Why do people pray before meals?

Shouldn't we give thanks before receving all the other things god provides for us?

I mean, shouldn't we pray before entering our homes to show appreciation for the shelter that god provides?

I think we should also pray before getting dressed, because thanks to god we dont have to walk around naked

Why not give thanks for the gift of air before inhaling, because without that we would be dead so fast, much faster then missing out on food.

I never understood why food specifically gets the automatic prayer.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

When I was a JW I always wanted to say a prayer like this but never had the nerve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbZUufk7KYQ

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit