As a JW, Did You Pray & Study With Your Spouse?

by mentallyfree31 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mentallyfree31
    mentallyfree31

When you were a JW, did you pray regularly with your spouse? What about a "family study"?

I was a pioneer and ministerial servant, but praying with somebody was always the most awkward, uncomfortable thing ever. We did it a handful of times over ten years, mostly towards the beginning of our marriage. When the family worship night arrangement evolved, we never did it. I just kept thinking it sounded awful to now have a free night but have to replace it with a family study.

How did you feel about praying and studying with your spouse? Did you do it? Did you do it regularly? And did you hate it?

-mentallyfree31-

• rocketman
    rocketman

I did pray at dinner, but it often felt awkward.

Then, one time we had Star Trek on, sitting at tray tables, and I accidentally addressed my prayer to Captain Kirk. That pretty much ended the prayer thing for us.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Tee hee hee.

I never could do the prayer and study thing with my oldest.

She resisted me at every turn.

Syl

• undercover
    undercover
    Then, one time we had Star Trek on, sitting at tray tables, and I accidentally addressed my prayer to Captain Kirk. That pretty much ended the prayer thing for us.

Our father in the final frontier, hallowed by thy name, James Tiberious Kirk...please give us the strength to boldy go where no man has gone before and thank you for this 5 course mission in daily sustenance. We pray this through your first officer Spock, amen...

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I always knew Star Trek was going to become a religion. Where can I sign up?

I never did that with my husband and we're not estranged or indifferent to each other at all, which is saying something. I was less embarrassed to have sex and be naked in front of him than to ask him to pray with me. Always came off as ridiculously pious to both of us to pray out loud together.

We always read all kinds of things, we didn't need anyone to enforce that.

• undercover
    undercover

I tried to pray and study but was not too successful. It was awkward and silly to be honest.

Over time, we just dropped it altogether.

Praying at mealtimes was silly too. The only time I did it was in the presence of other dubs.

If you have JW family, listen to them pray at mealtime. It never changes...the same thing over and over. My father-in-law prays like he's in race to finish. ourfatherinheavenjehovahthankyouforthismealthatwerreabouttoenjoyandthankyouforsendingyoursonjesuschristtodefeatsatanthedevilandsavetheworldofmankind -inhale - pleaseforvigeusofourdailytrespassesandprotectusfromsatanandhisdemonsastheyseektousethisoldworldtodevourusandkeepusfromyourparadiseearth - pause - in jesus name, aaaammaaaeeennnn (3 syllables)

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Praying always seemed pointless..I grew up listening to JW`s pray..

Long winded yapping about anything and everything..

Thank you for the Kingdom Hall/Thank you for Asperagus/Thank you for Asperin..

I`m going to need it after this long ass,pointless,Frigg`n Prayer..

.......................... ...OUTLAW

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I used to pray at mealtime but even that was a pain in the ass. My ex would sometimes criticize the quality of my prayers, saying they were too repetitive. How stupid! Seriously, you come home dead tired from a hard day at work, sometimes barely able to walk and literally staggering to the kitchen table, and you're expected to find a "creative" way of saying, "Thanks for the grub, God!"

We tried a "family study" a few times which meant preparing the watchtower together. Of course, she didn't like the way I did that either, because I didn't look up and discuss every cited scripture. The few times we tried that the "study" always took more than 3 hours. Easy for her, since she only worked 3 days a week at a sedentary job. Not so easy for me considering I worked 5 days a week, sometimes 5 1/2, 10 hours per day in a machine shop. On my feet all day, very heavy work. Perpetual knee and back injuries. Some days my hands were so cut and swollen from slugging steel at work I couldn't close them around a f*cking watchtower, let alone think about studying the goddamn thing.

For this I was a bad, unspiritual husband who refused to "take the lead", held in contempt by my spouse and my congregation. Since I was hated by all either way, I saw no more point in even looking at that vile rag. I told the ex she'd have to study on her own. I started napping through the meetings.

W

• mindmelda
    mindmelda

I did always enjoy that occasional brother who would asked to be forgived for his falling shorts, though.

Falling shorts are a terrible problem for some guys, I guess, so much that they feel the need for godly intervention, although suspenders tend to work better.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I remember a father who would, over and over, use the same expressions in his prayers, "Jehovah, help us to love what You love, and hate what You hate ..." blah, blah, blah.

Once, his youngest daughter was sitting next to me, and out of the corner of my eye, I noticed that she was saying the same words in unison with him!

Pathetic.

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit