How error entered the religious world

by hoj 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• hoj
    hoj

Adam and Eve were to eat of any of the trees of the garden except the one. They must have been fruit trees, since they were to eat of them. Eating (and drinking) in the Bible is figurative of partaking of a message. We can see that with meat, bread, honey, milk, water, wine, figs, etc. Therefore, a fruit tree would be a messenger. They were to eat of any of the messengers except the one in the midst of the garden.

It was Satan in the form of a serpent who wanted Adam and Eve to eat of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. It seems Satan was the messenger represented by that tree. His lies seemed good for food and Eve partook of the message and shared with Adam. Because they have accepted the error they are put out of the garden and now the fruit trees with the message of truth and life are as security guards and their message is as a flaming sword. They want to slay Adam and Eve with their message so they can get to the Tree of Life, but Adam and Eve are afraid to approach.

The same message can be as fruit if you go to the messenger to partake, or it can be as a flaming sword if the messenger needs to come after you with it and it is different than what you believe.

Now the fields bring forth thorns. When Paul had an abundance of revelations he said that the thorn was a messenger of Satan. Satan taught the lie, Adam partook of it, and now Adam's field (congregation) brings forth messengers of Satan. They are going to repeat the message that Satan shared with Adam. This seems to be an allegory showing how error entered the religious world. Through one man error entered the world. That one man represents teachers in general and the woman represents those receiving the message.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Please make it easier for me to understand.

BTS

• garyneal
    garyneal

Interesting take, I suppose. Could you please simplify this a little?

• hoj
    hoj

Eating figuratively would be partaking of a message. Therefore the trees are messengers. We can see other places in the Bible where trees represent people.

Satan wanted them to eat of his tree, the tree that they weren't to eat from. If a message if "good" it would be truth. If a message is "evil" it would be error, lies, and/or deception. A messenger of good and evil would have some truth and some error. It doesn't take much error to turn the truth into a lie.

Now Adams field, which represents those he is teaching, brings forth thorns which are messengers of Satan. The message originated in Satan and now Adam is teaching his message and raising up more messengers for him.

The good messengers represented by the fruit trees they were to eat from are now as security guards with flaming swords. Their message is now threatening to them.

The truth illustrated in the allegory would take place over time, perhaps generations, where the congregation represented by Eve partakes of error and offers the error to the next generation of teachers, which actually were part of her.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Sin in humans began from eating from the tree of good and evil, correct?

So, are you saying "original sin" is bad information? False information? Error?

BTS

• garyneal
    garyneal

That's what it sounds like. Bad fruit = bad information.

Some truth, some false. That 'drop of poison' thing the WT speaks of.

Adam and Eve spread what they learned and the whole inhabited Earth became accursed.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Fruit grows on trees, yes, but so do olives and so do nuts. Sorry but this sounds a little nuts to me.

StAnn

• darth frosty
    darth frosty

Sounds like BS how do you explain that god's words in gen 3:22? God verified the truth of the serpents 'message.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

So. I'm just riffing to Hoj's tune here (welcome to the board, by the way). Doing a little development of his thoughts.

Is original sin a meme? A viral idea? This viral idea spread throughout the human race, which explains all the problems?

I am reminded of Tolkien's Ainulindale . In the beginning was a music, played by all the children. But one of the children changed the tune.

Yet the lies that Melkor, the mighty and accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days.

It's just bad form to change the tune and throw the whole band off beat.

BTS

• hoj
    hoj

That is what I was saying, Gary. Do a search on "sin" or "iniquity" through the Old Testament and see that it is contrasted in the passage with truth. The passages speak of falsehoods and false prophets in contrast with the truth. Also, that poison you mention. Paul said that a sign should be that we can drink poison and not die. If we are in truth and understand the lies, the lies won't take us into error. We can get bit by a deadly serpent and not be hurt. No matter what that deadly snake says, I won't believe it because I know better.

Some more detail with the garden. When they ate of the tree of error they realized they were naked and clothed themselves with fig leaves. The Book of Adam and Eve makes it clear that the tree of knowledge of good and evil was a fig tree. Jesus cursed the fig tree because it wasn't bearing fruit (that is another topic). They clothed themselves with fig leaves because they just ate from the fig tree.

So what is the nakedness, and what are the leaves? We wash our robes in the blood of the Lamb to make them white. Those robes are figurative and the blood is figurative, or else it would make them red. I believe our garments, or robe, represents our beliefs. The blood represents the teaching. We wash our beliefs in the teaching of Christ to make them white, meaning that we are in truth. They realized that they didn't have any doctrines to believe and saw Satan's message of error to be desirable. Without its leaves a tree would be naked. I believe the leaves represent its garment, or beliefs/message. So they clothed themselves with the message of Satan. Satan is the god of this [religious] world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit