Going clear: Scientology

by James Mixon 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

A must see if you haven't seen it. Some scary stuff. They pay their workers

$.40 an hour.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Showing on HBO, two hours insight into Scientology.

Compared to them (scientology) JW's are a sane organization.LOL

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

I was about to post on this and see if anyone has seen it.

The book was phenominal. Scientology is on its way out. 100%.

However, their policy of how former members are treated, and of "disconnection", is shockingly similar to Jehovahs Witnesses.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Problemaddict 2: Yes the similarity is shocking. A guy was interviewed who

worked on the construction of the Scientology temples, he was paid $.40 an hr.

I believe Scientology combined Mormons and JW's and made up a religion.

• JeffT
    JeffT
    We just finished watching it. Very powerful documentary. I'm still trying to digest it. I may post my thoughts tomorrow.
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

Just watched it. Very powerful stuff.

I do wish they would not have used Jason Beghe or at least gotten him to speak without dropping the "F-Bomb" every time he opened his fucking mouth. It didn't help the cause.

Although Scientologists are more kooky than JWs, it's really only a matter of degree.

I'm sure JWs would laugh that members of Scientology's SeaOrg sign a billion year contract, but the truth is: JWs agree to a verbal one that is supposed to last forever!

Last time I checked, forever is longer than a billion year. A lot longer. So who's more crazy?

They're all crazy.

The verbal and psychological abuse, the shunning and subsequent destruction of families in both groups are all very similar.

There were a couple of quotes that really resonated with me:

• Scientologists have a "crushing certainty [of belief] that eliminates doubt"
    • Everything that is good [in your life] is because of Scientology. Everything that is bad is your fault

Substitute Jehovah's Witness for Scientology and both of those statements completely apply to JWs!

Let's review: They're both cults!

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    I think comparing the JWs to the Mormons, the Mormons are right off the radar with crazy.
  • Rufus T. Firefly
    Rufus T. Firefly

James Mixon, you wrote: Compared to them (scientology) JW's are a sane organization.

I made a similar comment to a fellow ex-jw, and he replied, How many people have died because of being JWs and how many have died because of being Scientologists?

I had to admit he had a point.

There are many similarities between the two religions.

I suggested to Lawrence Wright that he write a similar expose of JWs. He told me I was the second person to suggest that, and that he would keep the suggestion at hand.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Scientology, JW's, Mormons, Christian Scientists are all bat shit crazy.

Christian Scientists probably have had the highest kill rate followed closely by the JW's.

The most liveable is probably Mormon at least education wise and earning a living. But they also have that sci-fi belief stuff in their religion.

Scientology is just absurd. I mean you build a religion based on bad science fiction? It must appeal to narcissistic people. People who want to discuss every intimate part of their life to a stranger while holding two empty soup cans wired up to a gizmo.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I enjoyed this interesting interview with Lawrence Wright on YouTube about "Going Clear": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noDEBbqxkF0

Some high profile people have left Scientology including Paul Haggis, Leah Remini, and head honcho David Miscavige's niece. She recounts a lot of abuse occurring within this group. They are definitely isolating children from their parents and breaking child labour laws. Also, Miscavige's wife seems to have disappeared.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit