Bronchitis......Does anyone here

by WildHorses 10 Replies latest social physical

• Scully
    Scully

Nurse Scully recommends the following comfort measures:

LOTS of fluids. If you normally drink 8 glasses of water daily, increase it to 12. This helps dilute the secretions that are being produced so that they will be easier for you to eliminate.

If you're taking a cough syrup, make sure it is an expectorant, not a cough suppressant. (I know, I know, it sounds like torture and it is, but coughing is your body's way of ridding itself of all that nasty gunk that's clogging up your airway).

Steam is excellent. Lots of humidified air. Best way to accomplish this is to take a nice long hot shower. Try it a couple of times a day. Besides, it feels good too.

For the burning pain in your chest from all the coughing (I imagine the muscles between your ribs are aching too); try acetaminophen (Tylenol) and ibuprofen (Motrin/Advil) together. The two painkillers work on different pain pathways and will enhance each others effects. (PS this is the combination we use for post partum afterpains). As well, drinking extra fluids helps to flush out the lactic acid from your intercostal (between the ribs) muscles and diaphragm that are getting a nasty workout from all that coughing. Throw a nice big towel or flannel blanket in the dryer and wrap it around your chest when it's nice and warm.

Finally, a pot of tea, a warm blanket, a hot toddy, and a good book, along with a babysitter for the kids.

Get plenty of rest and get well soon!! We miss you!

Love, Scully

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit